please advise on grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please advise on grips

I'm considering replacing the ancient rubber grips on the GS.
    I'm looking at the foam ones but wonder if there's a better
    choice. Basically I want to reduce the vibration.

Also, how do install them over the throttle. It seems they are
    too narrow to fit. Are there replacement grips which have the
    throttle lever built into them?

Originally posted by DimitriT
    I'm considering replacing the ancient rubber grips on the GS.
    I'm looking at the foam ones but wonder if there's a better
    choice. Basically I want to reduce the vibration.

Also, how do install them over the throttle. It seems they are
    too narrow to fit. Are there replacement grips which have the
    throttle lever built into them?
    I just went to the local cycle shop and picked some up for our size bars. Then when I got them home the left one slipped on with the hairspray trick mentioned on this site. The right one I had to grind down the fins on the throttle so that it would slide over. I took just enough of the fins off so that I could, by brute force, slide the new ones on.

I bought some great foam grips with chrome ends, they are pretty large, but look great.

Comment

I can't seem to find grips LONG enough to take up the whole throttle barrel. Where do you get your grips, and what are they?

Comment

Wow, my grips were very long, actually hang over the end of the bar a bit. I purchased these...
        Sundance Grips, foam with chrome end caps.

Comment

Check out Pro Grip: http://www.progrip.com/default.asp?ite=gec

They have all kinds of grips and show you the length. Lots of folks here use different Pro Grip gel grips and like them. I've had them on three bikes and have a set waiting to be installed on a fourth.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I bought a showroom floor new V45 Magna (VF750C) in the Spring of 82, and took a set of GrabOn® grips home with me to install as soon as I got to my toolbox. Have used nothing but GrabOn's ever since. I swear by 'em.\\/

Comment

Question to the OP. Do you want cruiser style grips or rubber grips? There are two suggestions going here.

Comment

Originally posted by euch
                Wow, my grips were very long, actually hang over the end of the bar a bit. I purchased these...
                Sundance Grips, foam with chrome end caps.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...ore=All&page=1
                WOW I got those too. Didn't know what brand they were, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by euch
                  Question to the OP. Do you want cruiser style grips or rubber grips? There are two suggestions going here.
                  I'm looking at the Grab On foam grips. They look like what I need but I'm wondering about the right hand side. The grips look like they are too narrow to slip over the throttle lever but it sounds like if I cut the ridges off the lever I can maybe slip the grip over it. Any advice on this procedure is appreciated. I don't want to screw up the lever and then not be able to get the grip on it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
                    I'm looking at the Grab On foam grips. They look like what I need but I'm wondering about the right hand side. The grips look like they are too narrow to slip over the throttle lever but it sounds like if I cut the ridges off the lever I can maybe slip the grip over it. Any advice on this procedure is appreciated. I don't want to screw up the lever and then not be able to get the grip on it.
                    You don't want to cut off the ridges, thats what your grip grips to.The new grips will fit over the throttle, you will need a little lube and some patience.Make sure you buy the right bar size grips 7/8" or 1".

Comment

The grips should have a different inside diameter for the clutch and throttle sides..............

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

DimitriT,
                        You ought not have to cut anything to mount up the GrabOn's or any other brand. Once you've removed the existing grips, your new grips should slide very snugly over the Lh bar-end, and over the Rh throttle-barrel. I typically remove an existing set of grips by slicing them from one end to the other with a razor blade (careful on the throttle-barrel side). Then lube the inside of the new grip with a solution that will evaporate quickly and leave the grip tight. I use plain rubbing alcohol, but some folks prefer a solution of soap & water (Very thin on soap). Put just enough on the bar end and inside of the grip so that it will slide, and push it while twisting, to where you want it. I found that an application of compressed air will allow grips to be installed with NO lube. They stay much tighter that way. Have a friend place an air blower nozzle inside one bar end and hit it with about 50 psi, while you push the new grip on from the other end. The palm of your hand has to plug the little vent hole in the end of the new grip. The air tries to inflate the grip and it slides on very easily, then shrinks back down when you release the air. The opposite side is done the same way... place the blower nozzle into the vent hole in the existing grip and push the other... voila!

Comment

Drag Specialtie Sundace grips!

This was the answer for me and I am very happy with them. They are stylish plus they feel good on my hands. Be prepaired to take notice of added thickness though! It made the bike feel bigger right away. Since the grips were bigger around then the stock rubber grips.

Comment

Aftermarket grips may require a little attention

I found out when putting on my new grips they were very very tight on the throttle side and a bit loose on the clutch side. I had to use a rubber mallet and a little water to put the throttle side on. I domed the edge of the throttle as well as the grip with a small file which makes instalation a little bit easier and does not affect the fitment. If you have a loose grip you can use super glue or some silacone. I have had great luck with electrical tape on the bar to make the grip fit tighter. It can make the grip hard to get off come replacement time though!! Some of you may read this and find these ways a bit hoaky. But they are cheap fixes for the poor man. also on rubber grips put them in hot water first or set them out in the sun. This will help alot

Pan

Comment

Thanks gents. I'll look up Grab-ons when I want grips.

Comment

Working...
                              X