Can I switch the #1 and #4 plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I switch the #1 and #4 plug wires?

While trying check time with my new timing light I noticed when I hooked the induction pickup connector to the #4 wire I got a very eratic light. I hooked it up to the #1 wire and got a very steady flicker. When I reved up to 4K to check the advance timing the light didn't flash at all while on wire 4 and again very steady on wire 1. In order to check for either a faulty wire or a faulty coil I want to switch the #4 wire with the #1 wire. Will this work, or is there an easier way?

That will work just fine. They share the same coil and fire at exactly the same times.
    TK

Comment

So if I switch them and I stll get an eratic spark on #1 that means either the coil is bad or wire, correct?

Comment

You can switch the 1 and 4 plug wires because the 1 and 4 plugs are fired from the same coil. If one wire has a normal impulse and the other doesnt, there is no pointin switching wires, The problem is either the wire or more likely the plug cap on that wire. If the coil isnt working correctly, neither wire will work.

Earl

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
        While trying check time with my new timing light I noticed when I hooked the induction pickup connector to the #4 wire I got a very eratic light. I hooked it up to the #1 wire and got a very steady flicker. When I reved up to 4K to check the advance timing the light didn't flash at all while on wire 4 and again very steady on wire 1. In order to check for either a faulty wire or a faulty coil I want to switch the #4 wire with the #1 wire. Will this work, or is there an easier way?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

What's the plug cap? I placed the inductor several different places on the wire from the boot, all the way back up as far as I could reach under the tank 6without removing it.

Comment

For stock coils, 28 thou seems to work best for me.

Earl

What's the plug cap? I placed the inductor several different places on the wire from the boot, all the way back up as far as I could reach under the tank 6without removing it.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

So is plug cap ohms of the plug? I'm not sure what you mean by 28 thousand.

Comment

OOPS! I read your question as , "what is the plug Gap? and my answer was 28 thousandths. The plug CAP is the screw on plastic cap on the end of the spark plug wire that snaps over the spark plug. Resistance through just the removed cap should be 5k ohms (5000 ohms)

Earl

So is plug cap ohms of the plug? I'm not sure what you mean by 28 thousand.

Comment

You can do a preliminary check of your coils by inserting the probes into the plug wires for 1 & 4. One probe inside each plug cap. With stock coils resistance should be between 30,000 and 50,000 ohms.

Comment

Working...
                  X