Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does your bike take to warm up? (older GS owners)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less than a minute for me.
    But my idle mixture is slightly rich just for that reason. I like to be able to get on and go. The other circuits take a little longer to get going but by then I'm down the block and ready to shift anyway.

Comment

Currently, it is still in the 20's every morning when I start my 850 and it takes between 5 and 10 mins before I can take the choke off. However, in the afternoon when it is in the 60's, start at half choke and then off I go.

Comment

carb cleaner

in the mean time you could try Yamaha's carb cleaner..( it is in their motorsports/watercraft cataog).. there was a write up about it in a motorcycle mag.. I have it at home and not in front of me... mix with equal part gas and pour into bowls .. leave in no longer than over night ... drain bowls.. and it should clear it up some.. I have not tried this, but I will check the magazine and send info later,..

Joe

Comment

Yamaha Carb Cleaner

From "Motorcycle Tour & Cruiser" magazine, March 2002
          pages 62-3. tech and how-to: Cleaning Carburators
          Article Titled Carb Cleaning 101. by Fin korhonen

"enter Yamaha's Carburator Cleaner. This stuff is an
          absolute wallet saver."

The article further states it was designed for powersports
          equipment that had long periods of storage, and sufferred from
          blocked carbs.

I have a copy of the mag and the article.

Joe

Comment

here is what I do.

pull choke all the way out. tap starter. 10-15 seconds or so push choke in just a tad. let it run that way for about 30 sec to a minute.push it in to about 1/4 for another minute or so then ride.

thats when its ~60* F

Comment

normally it takes less that 10-15 seconds, but that's in 75-80 degrees

Comment

Less than 30 seconds would be good here. Northerner so not always warm here.

Comment

I wanna change my vote... I put 5-10 mins, but that is'nt right.

It was 45F out this a.m. and it took me 2mins to get the choke off 100%, after immediately leaving with my daughter from home.

At lunch, it was windy and not any warmer, so it wasn't warming up really fast. But, I could run with the choke off pretty quick. But, I could tell that after driving 60 or so into a 20mph headwind for a couple of minutes, the bike wanted me to put the choke back on...

So, I think its related to ambient temp and other windchill factors... My bike runs AWESOME otherwise, and I'm not going to touch something that isn't broke.

Comment

It depends on what the question is...
                    If it's time 'til you can ride the bike or until the bike comes to operating temp?
                    I don't have to use my choke on my '83 and can ride away immediately, but it takes about 10 miles on the freeway to obtain operating temp.

Comment

Working...
                    X