How to get it started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get it started?

My '80 1100L hasn't been started since last November. I left the tank full and with Stabil in it over the winter. In March I got a wild hair up my backside and decided that the tank was due for it's regularly scheduled 26 year maintenance so I followed the procedures outlined in the manual I have to remove the tank. Then the tank went to a radiator shop to be treated. A few days ago the tank came back ready to go. I spent yesterday polishing and cleaning the bike and installing the tank. Everything is back in place (I hope) and it has been sitting overnight with a gallon of gas in it. My questions are, how long do I leave the petcock in the prime position and should I be using starting fluid to help fire the motor? (assuming that everything else is working) If I use starting fluid, do I spray into the air filter area? Cranking, cranking, cranking will probably result in a dead battery. (It's questionable and has been on a charger all night) Thanks for all your help...-Pete

My first attempt would be to put it on prime for 20 seconds and try it. How's the petcock?BTW I wouldn't use starting fluid right off the bat. Hopefully the gurus here will chime in. I;ll bet you'tr anxoius to go!

Comment

Hi

I used starting fluid, I sprayed it into the air filter box(1 second).(removed the chrome side). Cranked for 2-3 seconds and then it started.
      This was with full shoke and no gas.Have used startingfluid every spring for the first starting of the year.(More easy for the battery).

Spring is here
      Season has started..

GS1000GLx

Comment

Turn the petcock to prime for 20-30 seconds, then switch the petcock back to the run position. Pull out the choke and press the starter button. Use the choke like you would throttle to regulate the rpm. The carbs are throttle priority. This means that you can use choke, or you can use throttle, but you cant have both at the same time. When you turn the throttle, the choke function is negated. So you never twist the throttle for a cold start. You start on choke only and then transition to throttle once the bike is running uniformly.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X