Tires, what is the story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires, what is the story?

I am a returning motorcycle enthusiest and bought a gs. The last bike I had before the gs was about 25 years ago. Tires did not last long years ago. I have read that a road bike's tires will last 3000 miles or so give or take now.

I see radial tires for sale for bikes? Do they last longer? It seems like the technology has gotten better but the tire technology has not? Car tires can last 70,000 miles. I do not get it?

Does anyone know the "Scoop" on tires and why they do not last as long as car tires? Does anyone use radials instead of the bias ply tires? Are they any better?
    Thank you for the info!

First the GS bikes use a Bias ply tire, the rims are not wide enough for modern radial tires. I got 10K miles on my last set of Metzlers & yes you can go thru them in 3K depending on your riding style

Comment

Have not had tires on either of the GSs long enough to determine mileage, but on my Kawasaki Voyager 1300, the Dunlop Elite II tires (bias-ply) were usually lasting 16-20,000 miles before I replaced them.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There are many different types of tires (stree/sport/touring) and many different brands.

Depending on how you'll use your bike, will dictate what tire you should buy.

I have gone with touring tires , because they get very good milage. On my last rear tire (metzeller marathon) i got above 15000km, and about 9000km of that being with about 250lbs on the bike.

Comment

Buy the best tires you can afford. You have less than 1 in of contact patch keeping you from testing your leathers and helmet. To cheap out here is assinine. Bias ply tires and radial tires will last about the same if they are made from the same compounds. It's the ride and handling characteristics that are different. Keep bias ply's on your GS. I have had GREAT luck with Dunlop K591 (sticky) K491 (less sticky) and K401 (even harder). The harder the tire, the longer it will last....the softer the tire the better traction you will have. As is most things in life it's a compromise. I prefer sticky tires just in case I need the traction, it's there.

aloha,
          Kelzer

Comment

Working...
          X