Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to cut 1" off the seat foam on my L seat, what's the best method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to cut 1" off the seat foam on my L seat, what's the best method?

I'm going to narrow the seat slightly also. What's good for cutting the factory foam?

A 12" long electric carving knife works pretty well.

Earl

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
    I'm going to narrow the seat slightly also. What's good for cutting the factory foam?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I use an ancient Sears electric knife that I bought at Goodwill for $1. It works great on seat foam, even if the old electric motor insulation is a little stinky when it runs.

Get the rough shape with the electric knife, then shape the foam by hand with course sandpaper in a sanding block. It goes pretty quickly, and is very controllable. Some advocate power tools for shaping foam, but I don't see the point unless you do it for a living. It's pretty easy to end up removing too much or making a gouge with a sanding disk.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

So coarse sandpaper will shape the contours back? I bought an electric knife from wally world for $9.76

Comment

...you learn something new everyday ... this forum rocks!!

Regards,

Comment

If you're looking to over-analyze the whole thing, the best tool is a hot knife. My guys use them in the field to shape foam before application of stucco. It's basically a piece of wire that can be shaped any way you like, and the wire gets real hot.

Even though I had access to a hot knife, I still used a bread knife from the kitchen. Don't tell my wife...
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

mission accomplished although the factory seat cover doesn't fit perfectly. I removed the rear lip off the pass step seat and that caused the cover to fit to low in the back. It looks much better, but I'll know more when I ride it to work. Sitting on it it seems a little tough in the sides. This is probably due to me not rounding the edges.

Comment

Working...
              X