GS850L headlight swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L headlight swap

I have an '82 850GLZ which has a 6-inch headlight with a chrome bucket. The mounting tabs are about 6 1/2 inches apart. I have a 7-inch headlight sitting on the bench that I would like to put on there, instead. (It puts a MUCH better beam on the road.) The mounting tabs on that light are about 7 1/2 inches apart. Where do I need to start looking for different mounting ears to slide over the fork tubes in place of the ones that are there?

The forks appear to be 37 mm in diameter, the part of the ears that slide over the forks are 7 inches from top to bottom. Viewed from the front, the point where the headlight attaches is narrower than the centerline of the fork tubes. What I need will have an offset that will be just a tad wider than the centerline.

Anybody have an extra set of mounting ears just sitting around?

Any other suggestions?
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

I can't believe that NOBODY has any extra parts for mounting a headlight.

I would even settle for suggestions on where to start looking for some, if there aren't any here.
    sigpic
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Are you sure you can't spread the existing "ears" enough to accommodate the new bucket? I managed to fit a used Gold Wing bucket to a '80 Kawasaki KZ440 that had a small sealed beam headlight using the existing parts. It took some brute force "re-engineering," but the final result looked good and worked well.

Comment

Ruddy, I considered that, but they have to spread an additional 1/2 inch each. The turn signals also mount on these ears, and the resulting change in their mounting angle would not be good.

I see in your sig line that you have a standard 850. How do the measurements of the fork tubes and headlight bucket compare? I am wondering if you might not have a larger headlight (like the one I am trying to install), so I need to check out the ears from a standard model instead of the L model. Would you mind measuring the mounting points that I have mentioned above and letting me know? Also need to add one final measurement...about 5 7/8 inches between the fork legs. Thanks.
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride

Comment

try the mounts from a 77-79 gs550.. they are the right size for a 7 1/2 inch light..

Comment

I'm sure the mounts from a standard "G" model are what you need. Mine are 7" tall, and the "ears" are about at the outside of the fork tubes--definitely wider than the center line. My headlight shell/bucket is about 8" wide at the attachment points. My forks are also about 5 7/8 inches apart. They're chrome, too, so they would blend right in with an "L" model. :-D

Comment

You can get chrome headlight mounting ears if all else fails from CRC2's "Chopper Parts" pages for $11.95:

This page also features a 6 1/2 inch headlight assembly for $60.

Would it be possible to use your stock mounting brackets upside-down so the attachment point is on the outside?

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ruddy, thanks for the measurements, that helps a LOT.

Bwringer, I had not thought of turning them upside down. That might spread the ears a bit, but the way the steel is stamped, it would not look very good. It would probably also change the position of the headlight, and might not line up with the cutout in the windshield.

I will look for ears from a G model. If they can't be found within the next few weeks, I will go for the universal ones.

Looks are becoming more important on this bike now. Got it running last year for the wife, and she even rode it from oHIo to Colorado. Unfortunately, it came home in a truck because the ignitor failed. I have a replacement ignitor coming (I hope) so it should be all ready and running by the time the body panels come back from the paint shop. Will have to post pictures when it's all together. Might even submit it for Bike of the Month :-)
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

You're welcome. Keep an eye on eBay. One of my favorite searches is "suzuki gs850" (also "suzuki gs 850") in eBay Motors Parts & Accessories. I see that someone is selling a headlight bucket and the headlight itself: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...QQcmdZViewItem

Who knows, he may even have what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                    You can get chrome headlight mounting ears if all else fails from CRC2's "Chopper Parts" pages for $11.95:
                    http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/chopper2.htm
                    I couldn't get the stock ears on my GS400 to work either when I got a 7" headlight, so I got those chrome chopper ears for my bike, and they work great!!

Comment

Thanks, guys, I already have the headlight, complete with bucket. I am just looking for the proper ears to mount it. I will be looking for G model ears or the universal "chopper style" ears.
                      sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve, I have a spare set of ears from an 850G for you. Maybe a couple other parts too. PM me. I'm super duper busy for a while but we can set something up if you send your contact info.

Comment

Working...
                        X