Dyna S over heating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S over heating?

Still cant figure out what is wrong with my 1979gs 750. Rebuilt motor and put dyna 2.2 ohm coils plug wires and dyna s. I know your not supostto run 2.2 coils but it ran great for about 3 days but the first day i rode it after putting on the dyna s i noticed some black stuff in cover over dyna s. Pulled it and my dyna s sensors were rubbing on the cam lobe so called dyna hotline and fixed problem. Drove the bike for about 3 hours a couple of gas tanks. next weekend rode and ran out of gas after try a wheely. Filled back up and bam running great a gain. Than after riding a couple of blocks ran terrible like on two cylinders. Cleaned carbs and and ran good again and than back to 2 cylinders. Swapped coils and ran good for a bit again i had some accel coils laying around. Fixd that and ran good for a while and ran only on 2 cylinders a again cylinders 2,3. Cleaned petcock and went through all my connection and ran great for about 30 min and than bam ran terible again but felt like carbs this time. Cleaned carbs and all that jazz and ran great for a while longer than ran only on 2,3 again. Tested dyna s by switching wires white to black and blck to white and cylinders 1,4 stipped working and 2,3 were. So i think that means its my dyna s. But why does it onlycut out every once in a while is it over heating. Also it seems like today it ran great for a long time until i went to get on her a lil harder and bam 2 cylinders again. Whats the deal. My cylinder 2.3 sensor look realy close to the lobe closer than 1,4 neither one rubing and i have tried to move it farther apart but cant. Whats going on with my dyna s help. Would cam chain skipping a tooth ause this. HELP
    sorry for it being so long just wanted to explain everything.

Hi Mark

Anyway you can post a pic of the dyna s mounted on the bike. I think you said you had to do something to make it fit. Maybe there a plated problem, can you double check to make sure you have the right dyna s for your 1979 750. Do you have the old ignition plate you can try?? if it's a points setup.

When mounted the pickup will be at a equal distance from the rotor.

Jake
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I will post picks tomorrow for sure and tell me what yu think. thanks jake and it is the right ignition it just had a lil too big of a plate, dont know y?

Comment

I've been trying to follow your progress with this bike. Seems like you're making some mistakes here and there. Not making fun of you though. Just being honest.
        You shouldn't use 2.2 ohm coils with the Dyna S, as I've said before. You can/will ruin the sensors. I've installed these Dyna systems and I can't really see how you adjusted things so far off that you had the rotor rubbing a sensor but you did. After our previous discussions, you fixed that problem but I too would like to see a good pic of what you have going.
        Please, run 3.3 ohm coils with your Dyna S.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

For some reason, dont know why, when I had my 79 750E, the Dyna plate was about 1mm too large in diameter to fit the bike. I had to file the edges slightly to be able to install it. Apparently, thats a Dyna oversight relative to their product fitting the 79 750. Dyna specifies their ignition to work with any coils between 2 and 5 ohm resistance. The better choice for street use is either 3 or 5 ohm.
          The 2.2's will run hotter. Did you ignition time the Dyna as per manufacturer instructions? Timing is set independently between the 1,4 pick up and the 2,3 pickup and different marks are used.

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
          I will post picks tomorrow for sure and tell me what yu think. thanks jake and it is the right ignition it just had a lil too big of a plate, dont know y?
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl, just read the Dyna S installation booklet earlier today because of another members post. The Dyna S must be used with coils of AT LEAST 3 ohms. Just quoting them.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Here mine, make sure it's center and not missing any mounting screws. How much damage was done to the pickup when it was rubbing, is it the same pickup thats causing you the problem??

Last edited by RacingJake; 04-17-2006, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah i switch right after you told me. My sensor dont seem to be burnt up yet, yesterday i did some adjusting on the plate and it no longer bogs down as bad. just some times.
                I agree with you i have made plenty of stupid mistakes, but boy have i learned alot from this forum. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  For some reason, dont know why, when I had my 79 750E, the Dyna plate was about 1mm too large in diameter to fit the bike. I had to file the edges slightly to be able to install it. Apparently, thats a Dyna oversight relative to their product fitting the 79 750. Dyna specifies their ignition to work with any coils between 2 and 5 ohm resistance. The better choice for street use is either 3 or 5 ohm.
                  The 2.2's will run hotter. Did you ignition time the Dyna as per manufacturer instructions? Timing is set independently between the 1,4 pick up and the 2,3 pickup and different marks are used.

Earl
                  I did not time my ignition, because it ran so gooooood. I also live in mile high area and i am pretty sure i can advance my bike more than others.
                  so when you filed the plate it never gave you anymore problems? I am glad i have not been the only one getting this plate that is too big for my casings. thanks

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

heres some pics let me know what you guys think

Comment

I dont understand how one can install a new ignition system, and not set, or at least, check the timing. Its like putting new tires on a bike and not bothering to put air in them. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
                      I did not time my ignition, because it ran so gooooood. I also live in mile high area and i am pretty sure i can advance my bike more than others.
                      so when you filed the plate it never gave you anymore problems? I am glad i have not been the only one getting this plate that is too big for my casings. thanks
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I could of swarn i have heard that electronic ignition don't really have to be timed because they are electronicaly timed, but i dont know. But i dont think my timing is the problem.

Comment

talked to dyna company today and they said to send it in and they will fix whatever is wrong. TThey couldn't beleive the plate was too big for my bike. I guess i might do that thanks let me know if you guys cab think of anything else.
                          pics
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

I can see that the plate is not center. Looks like it needs to come up at least an 1/4" maybe more?? You could remove the pickups, re-center them and re-drill the hole's. Or just let Dyna take alook at it, maybe they will just replace the whole assy since the rotor has made contact with the pickup.

May be when it gets hot due to expansion that one pickup loose's the magnetic pulse.

I see a Sporty in there too \\/

Last edited by RacingJake; 04-17-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

yeah maybe i'll let them take care of it. The guy told me that if they cant fix it that they will maybe give a good deal on a new one. i dont have any receipts or nothing for it, just a warranty paper but he said that doesn't matter so i hope it works out. tanks for the help jake have a good one.

Comment

Working...
                              X