Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which part# accel coils for 79 gs1000l? Are they any better than stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which part# accel coils for 79 gs1000l? Are they any better than stock?

How do they compare to stock, how bout dyna?

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
    How do they compare to stock, how bout dyna?
    -

-Is there some problem with your stock coils? I doubt you would notice any diference in performance if your stock coils are functioning properly. All wires and connectors clean etc.

Comment

yeah one of the plug wires i believe is bad so I was checking out my options.

Comment

No real difference between Dyna and Accel in my opinion. Both supply higher voltage (35K) than stockers (10K). I never liked the bright yellow leads that Accel offers.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I would guess that the stock coils are quite adequate to light up the cylinders in stock applications. If you want to bump up performance, compression, plug gap, etc. then the hotter coils would be useful. I'm under the impression that electronic ignition equipped vehicles run higher voltage and hotter coils than points vehicles. They also usually use larger plug gaps for a larger spark area. Let's say you wanted to convert to electronic ignition then getting hotter coils could be a good thing. Assuming the stock coils to be adequate then just throwing accel coils on your stock rig won't really do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotblack
            I would guess that the stock coils are quite adequate to light up the cylinders in stock applications. If you want to bump up performance, compression, plug gap, etc. then the hotter coils would be useful. I'm under the impression that electronic ignition equipped vehicles run higher voltage and hotter coils than points vehicles. They also usually use larger plug gaps for a larger spark area. Let's say you wanted to convert to electronic ignition then getting hotter coils could be a good thing. Assuming the stock coils to be adequate then just throwing accel coils on your stock rig won't really do anything.

I'm not doing it for a hotter spark, at least not yet. Since I need to replace a coil and/or wire i just wanted to make sure these will work. I'll upgrade to a dyna s later

Comment

Considering that you have an L model I would sugest you get some new/used coils from a bandit/GSX/RF900 (3 ohm). Space for mounting the bigger Dyna & accell coils is at a premium. What ever you do MAKE SURE to get 3 ohm coils if you are planning to get a dyna ign at a later date. I have dyna 3 ohms on my 79GS850 w points , but I added a 2 ohm balast resistor into the 12V supply line 3+2= 5 ohms works great. (balast from a late 70's-early 80's Mopar I have a Dyna ign (2 years) waiting until I have the time & money to do the top end on a 1000G motor in my garage, put it in my 850

Comment

Working...
              X