Engine vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine vibration

I'm running an 1982 GSX 750 Katana and I'm getting a bit of engine noise. There is also more of a buzz about the engine I've started to have to retighten alot of small srews around the engine as they are working loose. There seams to be a bit of noise from behind the generator casing.

Anybody recognise these symptoms

old trick from repairing cars to find noises

Take a long piece of iron pipe or large rubber hose and move it around with one end up to your ear and the other end very close (or even touching) the suspected source. You can hear where it is coming from so you know for sure. Then go from there.

Comment

Try some regular maintenance checks.
      Re-torque all bolts and bearings. Make sure the cam chain tensioner is operating correctly. Ignition timing and synch the carbs.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I didn't think there was any way to change the ignition timing. Please advise

Comment

Your bike has electronic ignition but it's still possible to assemble/move the base plate during other work and throw off the timing. Poor timing, by itself, usually wouldn't cause vibrations in the amount you appear to describe, but it could certainly be a contributor to vibration when combined with other poor tuning, such as poorly synched carbs, etc.
          I suggest a check simply because it's quick and easy with a timing gun, is basic maintenance that should be checked and you'll have one less possibility even if it doesn't help.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X