What's Missing From This Picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Missing From This Picture?

This is an '82 GS650GTZ I've recently acquired and started to work on. Aside from the side cover and battery,
    there seems to be something missing here. Looking at the wire routing diagrams in the service manual, I see
    a Rectifier/Regulator lead and Signal Generator lead going to a box in that should sit to the upper right of
    the battery. As well, there should be a starter relay underneath that and a turn signal relay on the other side near
    the bottom of the battery.
    Is that right? All of the leads coming into this area of the frame have been cut.
    Looking at some of the other loose wires, I was encouraged to work one out right away. It connects to the fuel gage. Heartened, I started looking at the mystery switch on the left handle bar. It seems to run to the right turn signal, so I removed the left handlebar switch to see if anything had been disconnected.
    Unfortunately, the wire bundle that connects to the switch was positioned such that I couldn't see clearly what was going where. In a move of near Einsteinian genius, I clipped out the tie wrap holding it in place and undid the screw holding the switch plate.
    Can you guess what happened next?
    RIGHT!
    Sproing! Parts in all directions. I've found all the bits to the horn and the Hi-beam/Low-beam switch. I have a plastic slider, a copper connection plate and two springs that belong to the turn signal switch. Now all I need to do is figure out how, exactly, they go back together and whether or not I'm missing anything else.
    Does anyone have any experience with these? Perhaps some kind soul could draw me a nice picture of what's supposed to be there and where it's supposed to go.[-o<

You may be better off to find a used complete wire harness. If you can find the rectifier and the starter soleniod then they probably are missing too.

I can't help on what is missing except the obvious battery.

Allen

Comment

I usually go to bikebandit.com to look at the parts fiches to see how things go together. They're quite thorough, but unfortunately in this case they're not thorough enough. They only show the whole assembly, not the internals. Here's the link if you're curious.
      Good luck with that bike, sounds like someone's been cannibalizing it pretty mercilessly. That sounds accurate as far as what goes by the battery box, they're laid out like the 550s. Who knows what else is missing.

Edit: I can't get the link to work for some reason so I took it out. You can go to bikebandit.com though if you're curious or for future reference.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2006, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I know that building a new wiring harness is not an impossible task, but it sure is a daunting place to start.
        Hotblack - I looked at bikebandit.com as well, hoping for guidance. There's a salvage place not too far away - maybe they'll have a used one.[-o<

Comment

If you have bike salvage close by that's a wonderful thing. I'd have to travel halfway down the state for some.

Comment

oh man, I did that with my '80 850... does it have springs, plates and bearings?

you'll just have to do what makes sense, the springs hold the balls against the sides for that "click" when you get there... it's a real mess, good luck!!

Comment

Well, thanks for that guys. Still kicking myself over this one.

Comment

Working...
              X