trouble with 85 gs 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble with 85 gs 700

I have an 85 gs with what I believe is only around 5,500 original miles, before I it bought it, it sat for awhile but still in good shape... it only runs on the choke, but is doesnt blow any smoke or make any horrible noises, rebuilt the carbs many times...replaced all jets with stock ones off of a running bike....used a gas tank off of a running 82 gs1100ez, adjusted valves as per the manual from 1985...running out of ideas and options....is this bike a lost cause? help please....

If it only runs with the choke on, it means it only runs if you artificially shove gas into it and since it doesnt blow black smoke in this condition it means you probably dont have any fuel coming out of the carbs via normal means. You've got a problem with the carbs or the petcock maybe both. "re-building" carbs is subjective. Did you completely disassemble and dip or just replace parts? Did you replace all parts or some? Sitting for a long time without the carbs being emptied properly leaves gas to turn into olefin wax as it dries which wont come out or unplug without help.
    Other questions like how far out are the air idle mixture screws etc are places to start

Comment

Have you got the airbox and filter on it? It won't run off choke with open carbs.

Comment

I got all new manifolds and rubber for the motor side of the carbs hoping that it was a vacuum problem i still think it might be didnt do anything....i sprayed the manifolds with starting fluid just to see what would happen before i changed the manifolds and the bike reved up... sprayed it after the change...still does the same thing....i think that somewhere in there lies the problem but I dont know what else to do.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X