Gear shifter oil seal - advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear shifter oil seal - advice wanted

My 1981 GS1000G is starting to leak oil from the seal inboard on the gear shifter shaft.

Does the seal remove easily without first removing the shifter rod? I really don't want to have to get in behind the clutch etc. I have in mind drilling the seal case, insert a screw (maybe one each side), then pull out the seal.

Anyone have any trouble replacing this seal?

Thanks
    Kim

Originally posted by Doctor Shifty
    My 1981 GS1000G is starting to leak oil from the seal inboard on the gear shifter shaft.

Does the seal remove easily without first removing the shifter rod? I really don't want to have to get in behind the clutch etc. I have in mind drilling the seal case, insert a screw (maybe one each side), then pull out the seal.

Anyone have any trouble replacing this seal?

Thanks
    Kim
    You can easily remove it with a Flat screwdriver, you don't need to remove nothing else than the aluminium external sprocket cover.
    Check if the chain have scratched the shifter rod, if so you need to remove all imperfection before getting the new oil seal on, so you'll not break the oil seal lip.
    Also check if the oil seal have done a groove on the shifter rod.
    I have changed it recently and the oil leak is still there, may be because of the 26 years old shifter rod groove. (Now i have to check it out again, and the original Japan seal costs 25 bucks here :? )

Comment

Originally posted by Sprockets
      You can easily remove it with a Flat screwdriver, you don't need to remove nothing else than the aluminium external sprocket cover.
      Check if the chain have scratched the shifter rod, if so you need to remove all imperfection before getting the new oil seal on, so you'll not break the oil seal lip.
      I have changed it recently and the oil leak is still there, may be because of the 26 years old shifter rod groove. (Now i have to check it out again, and the original Japan seal costs 25 bucks here :? )
      Thanks for that - mine is shaft drive so no worry about the chain.

Have you thought of gluing a second seal over the first so you don't have to worry about the groove in the shaft? A smear of silastic would probably be enough to hold them together.

I've also seen thin sleeves that can be pushed over shafts to set up a new seal surface.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Sprockets
        I replaced my seal today. I didn't bother with the Suzuki part, the local bearing/seal place sells almost equivalent seals for $3 each. I got two.

The original is 12x22x9, the store had 12x22x7. I figured if the shaft had a groove worn in it from the original then the slight difference in width would mean the new seal is operating on new metal.

I got two just in case it still leaks, as yours did. I have no worry adding one onto the first one, but I did see your comment about such repairs. :-) The advantage of this is that it gives new metal for the seal surface. Buying a new shaft is not in my budget.

There is also a SpeedySleeve for 12mm ($33 each) but they are fiddly to fit without taking the shaft out.

Kim

Comment

Working...
        X