No announcement yet.

Too Low resistance on r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

u told me before i should be getting 50-70 ohms though and im getting only 5, is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
      u told me before i should be getting 50-70 ohms though and im getting only 5, is that ok?
      I have only the spec. for the GS1150, and that is 50-200 Ohms for the DC-output, however I would not worry too much if a single Ohm value were not exactly as spec., there are a lot of things that can influence your measurement.

The question then measure diodes by resistance is if, too see that you have connection one-way and no connection the other way.

As I understood from your previous posts you have 5 Ohms one-way and no connection the other way, so I would carry on in my fault finding and leave the r/r for now.

If you are troubleshooting electrics/electronics you can get an idea if a part is broken by the resistance method, if you get values near spec. you should go on and measure with the parts mounted.

You must see the electrics as a thread and start in one end too measure you through the chain.

The Electrexs homepage has a very good description.

I scanned some GS 1150 pics. for you:

Comment

Originally posted by kz
        Originally posted by slopoke
        A GUESS WOULD BE THAT WINDINGS HAVE SHORTED
        If you have a short in a diode, you should also check your stator and if the bikes DC circuit has a short.
        A shorted diode shouldnt cause an erronious reading in most cases. I am referring to the windings

Comment

Originally posted by kz
          A GUESS WOULD BE THAT WINDINGS HAVE SHORTED
          If you have a short in a diode, you should also check your stator and if the bikes DC circuit has a short.
          A shorted diode shouldnt cause an erronious reading in most cases. I am referring to the windings
          I agree, as I wrote I would leave the r/r for now and start from start, meaning the windings.

The pics are just too still ice109:s hunger for r/r information.

Comment

which manual is that ,my clymer doesn't have that

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
              which manual is that ,my clymer doesn't have that
              It's Suzuki original service manual GSX1100/GS1150 1984 - 86. (the thick version)

A little warning, I DON'T KNOW if the GS 550 has the same parts as the GS 1150.

Did you have any use of the info, or did I confuse things even more?

Comment

not confusing at all, i just need to basically rewire the wiring harness from scratch and i havent had time.

Comment

too low resistance on r/r

KZ
                  would you please email me a smaller copy of the regulator schematic and instructions? I can only print the left side of those pages.
                  Thanks,
                  dobias@chartermi.net

Comment

Dobias,

I have E-mailed the pictures to you.

Comment

While we're back on the subject of the R/R, when a system is overcharging would it be possible to add a resistor to the line from the R/R to the battery to bring the rate back to spec?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                        While we're back on the subject of the R/R, when a system is overcharging would it be possible to add a resistor to the line from the R/R to the battery to bring the rate back to spec?
                        Billy,

In my opinion it's not a good solution to add a resistor, because the output voltage changes according to the engine revs and load.

That means if you add a resistor, it only works for a small "rpm-window" and a certain load.

One possibility could be to add a big Zener-diod and just shut the "over"-power to ground, but it is a little bit "old-fashion" way of regulating....

Comment

Karl,
                          Thanks for the response. It was just something I've been wondering about.

Comment

Working...
                          X