long term storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long term storage

hi im going to be butting my bike in storage forr a while. like a year or two. what are some things i should do to peserve it .and get it ready for storage thanks

If you are going to store it that long make sure the petcock works properly to start with. You don't want it leaking fuel into the crankcase. Then drain the carbs. I'd put a little oil down each cylinder and turn the motor over by hand to get a good coat of clean oil on the cylinders and rings. If you don't want to go to the trouble of pulling carbs and exhaust and plugging the ports at least plug the ends of the exhaust and the intake in the airbox to try to keep dampness out of the cylinders. Put the bike on the centersatnd and block the engine to get both wheels off the ground. The battery will be toast after that long so go ahead and remove it.

Comment

If you have any gas in the tank, make sure you use STA-BIL or something like that to keep the gas good. Stuff works great and you can get it anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
        If you have any gas in the tank, make sure you use STA-BIL or something like that to keep the gas good. Stuff works great and you can get it anywhere.
        I was going to suggest that or as long as the petcock is in good working order drain the tank and fill it with kerosene. It's oily and will protect against rust. Make sure even with gas and Stabil that the tank is competely full to keep rust at bay. Good point Mark.

Comment

Doing this myself in a few weeks....Change the oil....

Put in clean new oil right before storage. Toss the battery, or at least store it out of the bike. While it's out fix any rust starting up in the battery box area.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Personally, I'd drain the tank completely and fog the inside very well with fogging oil. I know gas is getting more and more expensive, but it's silly to try and artificially preserve three or four gallons of 2006 gas until the year 2008.

Then drain the carbs completely.

Remove the air filter(s) and spray fogging oil into the airbox/carbs while cranking the engine. This will help keep the carb slides and such from corroding.

Some folks also advise to fill the float bowls with Sea Foam while in storage to preserve the floats, float valve, etc. (drain the gas, then run in the elixir via the gas line.) I haven't done that.

Plan on replacing tires and the battery when you return. Write 'em off now -- they're history.

Fog and then plug the exhaust, and invest 59 cents in some mothballs to keep mice from nesting in your seat foam, battery box, etc.

If the storage area is subject to moisture or humidity changes, you'll want to fog, grease, or otherwise coat and preserve all exposed metal. It's a lot easier to clean off than rust. Careful about the rubber footpegs and tires.

Cover the bike with a cotton sheet to keep dust off -- NEVER use plastic, since that will only accumulate condensation and moisture.

Entrust the key and title only to a parent or family member who does not ride and who has no interest in motorcycles. You need someone whom you can honestly trust will not take your bike out of storage and ride it while you're gone or sell the bike or the parts out from under you. This has happened, sadly.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X