Compression test results...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression test results...

Ok, I finally did a compression test on my 83 gs750 es. Heres the numbers...

Cyl#1 : 135 psi
    Cyl#2 : 140 psi
    Cyl#3 : 135 psi
    Cyl#4 : 145 psi

I have never done this before but I followed all instructions and this is what I got... I am really not sure if the cylinders are supposed to be this different but I have made the assumption that my rings arent causing the white smoke from my exhaust.. I have a new petcock on order should be here in a coupple of days.

I am new at this so someone please tell me if theese compression numbers are good and what I should or shouldnt do about it.... Thanks very very much... Jason

Originally posted by morbidphil0622
    Ok, I finally did a compression test on my 83 gs750 es. Heres the numbers...

Cyl#1 : 135 psi
    Cyl#2 : 140 psi
    Cyl#3 : 135 psi
    Cyl#4 : 145 psi

I have never done this before but I followed all instructions and this is what I got... I am really not sure if the cylinders are supposed to be this different but I have made the assumption that my rings arent causing the white smoke from my exhaust.. I have a new petcock on order should be here in a coupple of days.

I am new at this so someone please tell me if theese compression numbers are good and what I should or shouldnt do about it.... Thanks very very much... Jason
    Low limit is 128 so you are okay and they are fairly equal.

Comment

crap....

Well I thought I was good to go but I decided to put a little oil in the cylinders and try again... They all shot up to about 170... Now I dont know what the heck is going on...

Comment

It means the oil is helping seal the rings. You don't have bad compression, but this tells you the rings are worn somewhat and the valves are sealing well. Oil in the cyls is a common test to determine if the rings or valves are the casue of low compression. I wouldn't rebuild until the compression is below 120.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Swee.. I can handle that... Just hope this new petcock makes the smoke go away, if not oh well it is an old bike and that is to be expected... If I do have worn parts and I switch to synthetic will I have a bigger problem?? I need to know because I already have the oil and I am planning on changing it tomorrow... Sae 5w-40.

Comment

Originally posted by morbidphil0622
            Swee.. I can handle that... Just hope this new petcock makes the smoke go away, if not oh well it is an old bike and that is to be expected... If I do have worn parts and I switch to synthetic will I have a bigger problem?? I need to know because I already have the oil and I am planning on changing it tomorrow... Sae 5w-40.
            You will be fine with synthetic. You may develop a few slight oil seeps you didn't have before but nothing a little torquing won't fix. Just don't overtighten and strip anything.

Comment

Sounds groovy to me... Thanks for the info... Jason

Comment

Working...
              X