GS1150 Rebored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 Rebored

Well at long last my GS1150 has had its rebore completed.
    Also did the valves and the cam chaim while it was apart.
    Runs really well and I have completed the first 900 Klicks ( 1 oil change so far ) I now have to change the clutch as it is slipping under moderate acceleration. I also changed the tyres and did the front forks.
    I checked the steering head bearings but still have a very loose front end.
    I can not let go of the bars or she will go straight into a tank slapper.
    I have adjustred the damper and compression settings on the rear adjusters and it seems less prone to slap at the softest setting, when I have a passenger the bike feels much more stable. I went through the search option and recieved some good advice there so I will continue my search for a cure.
    I dont feel like a steering damper is the only resolution although I will fit one when I have minimised the issue at hand.
    I feel that maybe I should change / check all the rear bearings and bushings next. Does anyone have a list of bearing numbers that I can use at a bearing house rather than going to my local dealer?

Thanks

Is the front tire properly balanced? Mine had the same problem, but was due to my Metzeler wearing like a POS and going badly out of balance. Now I can let go of the bars and light my cigarettes no problem.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

GS1150 Rebored

Hi Jethro,
      Yes the tyres were both balanced when the new ones were fitted. They are Bridgestone Battleaxe's front and rear. I just reconfirmed this from the tyre shop.

Comment

When you say you "did the forks", what did you actually do? Change the seals? Clean out the forks?...If you can prop up the front wheel, stand in front of the bike and grab the front forks with both hands and see if you get any movement. Also if you have radial tires on it,,the suspension may not be up to handling the traction generated by the tires,,what size tire is up front,,I'm not aware that Bridgstone has 120 or 110 tires in 16 inch. I also had a metzler on mine once that was low on air and wobbled like crazy till I pumped it up.

Comment

The 1150 is well known for this, it was even mentioned in the mag reviews back in the day. The 16 front wheel is very sensitive, so if anything is off at all, this is what you get. It's usually worse around 40mph (~65kph) I think. I found that the tire would cup as the miles added up, no wobble when new, but after a couple 1000 miles it would start getting worse. It happened immediately once with a shoddy balance job.

Another thing to check is the fork oil level, and settings, if you have mismatched fork legs, stuff like this can happen.

Comment

Gs1150

I have a 110/90/16 BT45F on front and a 130/90/17 BT45R on rear.

The forks were stripped completly and all the "O" rings and seals were replaced. I checked the spring length 18.5" and replaced the oil 227ml's.
            I took off the anti dive units, cleanded and refitted them. I set up the preload at 2 and the anti dive unit at 4 ( I like it a little stiff ). At the rear I set up the damper somewhere near the middle and the spring preload at high to start ( clockwise ) this caused more wobble so went completly to anti clockwise which was better. As a note when I have my wife on the back the slapping is greatly reduced. I thought maybe my forks are set to low in the triple trees but checked there position and they are exactly level at the top of the clamp.

Comment

My yamaha radian has the same size front tire and does the same thing. I am about the put in new fork seals, but I think my problem it the tire is out of balance. That small tire is very fast turning and it wears much faster the the bikes with larger tires that I have owned. The tire shop also mentioned the problem was probably in the tire and it is a bridgestone.

I can't let go of the bars with both hands, not that is a good idea to do anyway.

Allen

Comment

GS1150 Rebored

Well typical Calgary weather. Yesterday ( Friday ) 22 degrees and sunny, today 0 and snowing. Seems like a good time to check out the GS. Wheel bearings and rear shock bushings etc. Will let you know how I progressed later. Thanks for the help so far.

Comment

My 1150 used to wobble.... pretty bad. I tightned up the steering head and that helped. Then I checked the alignment of front to rear tire. The rear was slightly off. Once aligned, all the head shaking disappeared. I can take both hands off no problem.

Get the string out. Your alignment is probably off.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                  X