wiring burnup and K&N adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring burnup and K&N adjustments

I have an 83 gs750e and I love the thing. My roomate borrowed it and got rear-ended leaving me with a $1,300 insurance check to use to repair it. I bought all the tuff on ebay for $400 (fairing, turn signals, tail light, instrument cluster, fuel tank, plus a few odds and ends). When I did this I also picked up some K&N air filters. When all the parts arrived I proceded to put them all on. Removing the stock airbox proved to be more difficult than I had anticipated and in my haste I hacksawed it into 5 pieces - big mistake. I'm new at this whole upgrade thing and as my mixture was already a little rich, thought higher air flow would be a simple upgrade. Well now as you have already deduced - I am way lean. The bike idled and warmed up great but when I lay on the gas it bogs down immediately. And because I hacked my airbox up I'm stuck with finding a way to make the K&N's work. A buddy told me I needed to jet my carbs and possibly get the valves ported. Any suggestions.

A second problem occured with my repaires and that is that when I ran the bike for a few minutes the wires that connect to my regulator rectifier started to get hot smoke and melt their sheathing. I have the aftermarket electrex r/r. The turn signals are also not flashing (they come on and stay on). If I tap the relay they will flash so I think it might be bad - or would that happen regardless?

If you have any info on any of these I would love your suggestions and ideas. If you need more info just let me know. Thanks, Adam.

The solution to your overly lean condition is to either locate a stock airbox, E-Bay, salvage yard etc. Or buy a jet kit and a 4-1 exhaust system. The airbox will most certainly be cheaper but harder to find, but the exhaust and jet kit will have to be installed and fine tuned to run right. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and have patience and the $$$, the jet kit and exhaust is what you'll need.I'm pretty sure pod type filters won't work without these additions. Does your bike have the stock exhaust? If so, going back to the complete stock set-up would be the easiest way to go.

Comment

I've just come up on a spare airbox for an '84 1150, I'm not sure if they are the same as a 750. If you do find that they are compatible I'd be glad to hook you up with it.

Comment

You may be able to correct some of the hesitation by 1) going up a few sizes on the main, 2) shimming the needle, and 3) backing out the air/fuel screw a little. These procedures are probably detailed in the carb section of GSresources, but if not, we will clarify. The jet kits have softer replacement springs which may or may not be absolutely necessary for your bike. The stock airbox is the way I would recommend, and I'm pretty sure that only the 83-85 700s and 750s have the one you need.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the airbox, I just picked one up on ebay for $20. Does anybody have any idea about my wiring coming out of the regulator rectifier burning up? I just swapped out to a new instrument cluster, could a bad connection within that be causing a burnup? Or maybe a loose wire somewhere, a shorted wire? I checked the actual connection that is heating up and it is tight.

Comment

Chop the connectors off and solder them together, replace the ground connector too. Use shrinkwrap that is self sealing to keep things happy for a long time. If you can't get the solder to stick to the wire it is because it is too corroded. In that case you'll have to chop off some of the wire until you find some that will stick.

You should also unplug the new stuff you have added. Then reconnect the parts one piece at a time. If you get a spark or lots of heat you know what's up. A multimeter would make things easier if you believe you have too much current draw.

Steve

Comment

BUY THE JET KIT. You'll never get it jetted correctly without it.
              Axel

Comment

Working...
              X