No announcement yet.

To pod, or not to pod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh... summer is almost here and its time to make some time for the GS board again...

So on the podding topic, the whole to pod or not debate only really applies to stock carbs, right?

For my next project I'm planning on running pods but also later carbs, not sure what kind exactly yet. My project is an '82 GS550M Kat that I bought in boxes, its missing the engine so I'm going to put in a good GS700ES engine I picked up last summer with later forks and swingarm/wheel swap. With the 700 engine I plan to run some GSX/R? carbs and pods, from what I understand that should be MUCH easier to set up.

If this is true why even bother with all that work trying to jet CV's? Seems like a weekend or two of assembly and setup with better carbs to start with is more logical than messing around for months trying to find the sweet spot for CVs.

/\/\

Comment

Ah yes, air leaks. Bought a Gixer a few yarons back and it had K&Ns. I fiddled with that for a good year. But after replacing rubbers because of air leaks, it rocketed to the moon, Alice.
      Now own a 750E fixerupper and sure enough, air leaks was the big issue. Soon as I got em all plugged, away she went. No pods on this one.

Comment

If this is true why even bother with all that work trying to jet CV's? Seems like a weekend or two of assembly and setup with better carbs to start with is more logical than messing around for months trying to find the sweet spot for CVs.
        You mean, why don't people who get a perfomance pipe and jet kit just replace the carbs also? Money is probably one issue. Also, CV's have thier advantages when properly set up. My bike is smooth as silk now that it's back to stock.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by The Kelzer
          By the way, Pods can be used on non-CV type carbs without the many tuning woes you would get with a CV type carb. Just so the Non-CV guys don't get freaked out by this post.
          For the record, my reasonably easy pod and jetting experience was with CV carbs.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Jetting takes patience in most cases, unless you're lucky to have someone help you that has a bike with an identical set up. Even then you'll probably have to take things apart a couple times and tweak things.
            Where many people make things worse is in the motor preparation and the mods they choose.
            You're asking for frustration if you cut corners because of your mechanical ability, laziness or budget. You can't just assume the carbs are clean, the compression is within specs, the electrical system is working right...you have to check and adjust these things BEFORE you re-jet. Otherwise, you're mixing trouble shooting and jetting. Bad combo. If you just throw in some larger jets and expect the bike to run right, you're going to learn the hard way. Prepare the motor first.
            You also can't expect the motor, which was tuned to run best for its specific characteristics, to always have good street "manners" when you mix in modified parts. These mods should COMPLIMENT each other. Larger carbs on a stock head, pods and stock exhausts, stock carbs and ported/polished heads...these things are not always good matches. Throw in wild cams, poor cam timing, weak ignitions, jet kits that were designed for certain mods and specific brand name parts being used to make other mods work...
            Not all mods work together and not all mods increase power without some sacrifice. Not all mods even make sense for the motor they're in. Typical re-jetting can't be expected to bring everything together. You may gain over-all power but lose some in other areas. It may run perfect. It may run like crap. So many variables to good performance. Not just pods and jets.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thats proper advice Keith. There is no easy way with mods.

Comment

Aww Crap! I just spent the money on pods, and now I find out what a headache it is gonna be to get the carbs jetted right? Should have done my home work.

My suspicion is that the carbs were never rejetted properly when the V&H 4-1 was put on it. I think she's been bored out too. This bike is like a curse. Well, I think I'll let the shop take care of the carbs for me. I've found a fantastic shop in Lancaster County, PA. These guys know their stuff like nobody's business. Anyone in my area, feel free to look up RBO Racing Enterprizes. I don't know why I ever took any of my bikes anywhere else.

If there's someone in Lancaster County, PA who has some kind of masochistic desire to help me do the jetting on my GS 750 instead of me taking it to the shop, feel free to give me a yell!

Comment

Pods

Has anyone ever tried tuning with an O2 sensor? It should be pretty straight forward. Right now carbs are the least of my worries. First, I have to get the engine back together. But, considering that my airbox disappeared (long story), I'll have to do something. I guess when I get to it, I let you all know how it went. It sounds good on paper though. You should only need an O2 sensor and an ohm meter.

Comment

Working...
                  X