Clutch Nut Locking Clutch Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Nut Locking Clutch Together

Hey folks. I just put a cam chain in my 84 GS750EF, and I have the cases back together. I am ready to install the clutch assembly. However, when I put it all back together, I tighten the clutch nut (before actually putting the clutch plates in) and it seems good and spins freely until I really torque it down. Then it locks up. Its like the spacer isn't the right size. I am blameing the 2 washers that go on either side of the clutch basket. They look like they may be worn a tad. Also, when I took it apart, this nut was finger loose, and the only thing holding it on was the bent over washer. I found that this was common with others? I will use locktight when it goes together. I have checked all the pictures and found that everything is the way it is supposed to be. Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've heard that "Ape Racing" makes a modified clutch hub nut that won't loosen up. It comes with replacement washers that you speak of. Sadly, I haven't a link to their website or information.

Comment

Well, his problem is that the hub locks when he torques the nut. Doesn't matter whether it's the stock or APE nut.

I'd be interested in finding out what the problem is, since I am currently working on my clutch and encountered a loose hub nut.

Thanks,
      Jeff

Comment

Sounds like your oil pump drive gear is not in the notch on the back of the hub.

Comment

Locking

I discovered that one of the 2 main washers in the clutch assembly were worn just enough so that the clearances weren't right. I found a small washer to put in on top of the worn one to make up the clearance need to stop jamming the clutch basket. I can tighten that baby as much as I want now, and things will still spin. I'm not sure why that nut came loose, I reinstalled with an impact and bent that washer over the edge of the nut. That washer in theory should stop the nut from spinning. Time will tell. Thanks for the help! -Rudi

Comment

Working...
          X