what oil pressure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what oil pressure??

I finally got around to pulling my sump cover and checking the pump pick up screen and it was almost completely clear, a very small amount of tiny bits and the strangely common loose shim washer in the sump.
    the sump was 99.5% sludge free just a tiny bit in the corners.

cleaned it all up and put it back together and filled back up and went for a good ride.

cold the oil pressure is very strong and high pegs the 15psi guage with ease, but as the oil heats up it slowly but steadily dropped till after about 25 miles even 4500rpm was showing 0psi!!!!
    now the oil light does not come on while the engine is running, but the switch for the light is before the oil cooler and the guage is on the main oil port.

I am going to pick up new O-rings for the pump and see what that does.

do I remember right that you can use 16 valve 750 oil pump drive gears to boost flow and pressure???

PS: the lack of pressure does not seem to bother it any.

That is not uncommon of all. If your using a heavier weight oil (like 15w-40 or 20w-50) it wont be uncommon to see 15psi cold. I run 15w-40 and my cold pressure is 8-9 PSI. When warm, I go as love as 0.5 to 1.5 depending on how hot it is. You have to keep in mind these engines are low pressure-high flow lubricated. If you think there is no or not enough oil getting anywhere, loosen your valve cover alittle and take out one of those 'D' grommets and see how much Valdez you have after a short 5 minute ride! Also, the stock Oil presure switch will open with less than 0.5 PSI of oil.

Funny you mentioned 'loose shim washer', I took my pan off about 2 months ago, and found a quarter-sized slightly curved washer in mine, and have no idea what it is or where it went, yet everything is running as it always has.

Comment

Originally posted by 83'GK
      That is not uncommon of all. If your using a heavier weight oil (like 15w-40 or 20w-50) it wont be uncommon to see 15psi cold. I run 15w-40 and my cold pressure is 8-9 PSI. When warm, I go as love as 0.5 to 1.5 depending on how hot it is. You have to keep in mind these engines are low pressure-high flow lubricated. If you think there is no or not enough oil getting anywhere, loosen your valve cover alittle and take out one of those 'D' grommets and see how much Valdez you have after a short 5 minute ride! Also, the stock Oil pressure switch will open with less than 0.5 PSI of oil.

Funny you mentioned 'loose shim washer', I took my pan off about 2 months ago, and found a quarter-sized slightly curved washer in mine, and have no idea what it is or where it went, yet everything is running as it always has.
      well the spec is suppose to be 3-6psi at 3K rpm warmed up.
      getting this pressure Gage was the wrong idea as I can safely say it has not had oil pressure for some time as I have not done anything to affect pressure sense doing the top end work almost 50K miles ago, but now I have the Gage and know what the pressure is, it just eats at me. as I know it takes pressure to get oil up in the head.

strangely allot of people find the "shim/washer" in their sumps!!!!

Comment

I lost my cams and head because of oil flow to the top end. I will have a guage on the new engine.

Comment

Working...
        X