unfiltered air into carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfiltered air into carb?

this is a follow-up to an earlier question.
    thanks for the good info!!

one more question on the same topic...

The 4 hoses from the carb that feed into the air filter box. Do those just just slip into the holes in the cleaner box loosly? or should there be an air tight connection there to? I'm worried about the same issue of unfiltered air into the carb.

I'm not sure what you are describing. The airbox should have 4 'manifolds' that slip over the carb mouths. These are then tightened by ring clamps.

Maybe your bike is different, so all I can say is if you are running CV carbs, your airbox must not have any leaks.

Comment

Air into carb!

If your talking about the 4 hoses that are coming from the bottom of the float bowls, they do not go into the air box! They go down between the swing arm & the the transmission! All they are for is in case your floats overfill, the extra gas will go down to the ground & not burn up your engine & hoses & god knows what else, as mine did! This is why I know!There are another 2 vacuum lines between #1 & 2 carb & #3 & 4 carb, that go there to! And your air box differently has to be sealed tight against any air that may get in between any cracks & any of the inlet hoses from the carbs! Plus none getting in around the 2 ends of the box! I am in the same situation & will have to use some silicone to put around the inlet hoses from the carbs, as mine are old & hard. But hopefully, it'll work! Does this help? If I have anything wrong, somebody will correct me, but I think I am right about this one. So I thought I'd answer this, 'cause nobody was doing it yet & I am in the middle of it too! Good luck! Ron..

Comment

thanks...
        sorry, it's a 1981 GS1000G
        yes I have the 4 'manifolds' (hoses) from the airbox running to the carb, over the carb mouths and ring clamped.
        It's the other end of the hoses that have me concerned. (the end that goes into the airbox. they seem to just slip into the holes fairly loosely leaving the possibility for air to enter the airbox at this connection. I'm wondering if I'm missing something that would seal this.

Comment

My intake tubes have a lip on them, and when they are properly in place, will straddle the edge of the airbox, making a decent seal. If you take one of them out, you will see an orientation notch or peg, just line that up with the peg or notch in the airbox hole.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Like Steve said, but I think there are 2 lips on each of the boots, & the edge of the air box holes are sandwiched between these 2 lips. A big pain in the gas (fuel) system.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

air

Originally posted by david
              thanks...
              sorry, it's a 1981 GS1000G
              yes I have the 4 'manifolds' (hoses) from the airbox running to the carb, over the carb mouths and ring clamped.
              It's the other end of the hoses that have me concerned. (the end that goes into the airbox. they seem to just slip into the holes fairly loosely leaving the possibility for air to enter the airbox at this connection. I'm wondering if I'm missing something that would seal this.
              Heyyyyyyyy Buddy I have a 80 GS1000G and I found that you can't have any leaks in the system, My air box was the same way you have explained and it cause my bike to run bad. i had to buy air filter pods to correct the problem but when you change anything to do with that system you also might have to rejet.

Comment

ok. i see.

mine have sort of a flare at that end, but slip inside the 4 airbox holes about 1 1/2" or so in. So that's where i'm not sure if i'm missing something for that seal.
                While know that there are 2 right side and 2 left side,, they were extremely hard to get over the mouths of the carb. Part of the rubber had hardened, so i ended up heating them with hot water to soften them up enough to get them on.

Comment

Working...
                X