Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting Exhaust bolts to studs- what to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Exhaust bolts to studs- what to use?

I have a 1978 GS550 with a MAC 4 into 1 header. I would like to replace the bolts with studs. Does anybody know what studs to use, and where to get them? Are there "Exhaust Studs" or do I need to buy ordinary studs, or am I stuck buying threaded rod and cutting it myself to lengths?

Any help would be great

Anybody?? Hasn't anyone used studs????

Comment

You can get 8mm studs at most well-equipped hardware stores, which many here have done. However, they are made of ordinary steel, and will quickly turn grungy.

You can get stainless steel studs at reasonable prices from McMaster-Carr ( http://mcmaster.com ). Don't forget to also order up some stainless nuts and washers to match.

Others, including myself, have switched to using stainless steel allen head bolts. Slathered with plenty of antisieze, they seem to work very well. I don't think studs would work with most stock exhausts, but I'm not sure on that.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Studs would be a good idea if you remove the exhaust alot. do some carefull measuring. order them from mcmasters

Comment

Working...
        X