Question about gs300l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about gs300l

I have a question about a part on my bike. Attached you can see it in the picture, and when I first start the bike when its cold it clicks in and out for a little while, then stops all of a sudden. I imagine is supposed to do it, but what is it exactly?

Sorry for the noobish question.

Thanks, Joe

That is your automatic spring-driven cam chain tensioner. Don't twist its knob unless you're servicing the cam chain.

Comment

If you're curious about how this works and what's indside, here's my page showing how to rebuild a cam chain tensioner on a GS850. The details are obviously different, but your cam chain tensioner works the same way.

And don't mess with the knob, especially if the engine is running. I don't know why Suzuki made that stupid knob so invitingly knurled and easily accessible, but it's only meant to be used when resetting or rebuilding the tensioner.

It really shouldn't make any noise or really do anything noticable, so I wonder if the noise your'e hearing is normal. All I can think of is maybe a tight spot in the cam chain or the pushrod is sticky or bent. It might be worth cleaning it and putting in new seals to see if that noisy operation goes away. The o-rings and seals might be different, but the instructions on the web page should work.

Anyone else with a GS300 or a related bike want to chime in?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
        If you're curious about how this works and what's indside, here's my page showing how to rebuild a cam chain tensioner on a GS850. The details are obviously different, but your cam chain tensioner works the same way.

And don't mess with the knob, especially if the engine is running. I don't know why Suzuki made that stupid knob so invitingly knurled and easily accessible, but it's only meant to be used when resetting or rebuilding the tensioner.

It really shouldn't make any noise or really do anything noticable, so I wonder if the noise your'e hearing is normal. All I can think of is maybe a tight spot in the cam chain or the pushrod is sticky or bent. It might be worth cleaning it and putting in new seals to see if that noisy operation goes away. The o-rings and seals might be different, but the instructions on the web page should work.

Anyone else with a GS300 or a related bike want to chime in?
        Well I have to admit that the noise is probably my fault. When I first got the bike, as I said it was a basket case, and I thought that was some type of emissions breather, and noticed it was a little loose it seemed, so I tightened it about 1/4 turn. Since seeing your post I backed it up to where it was and now no noise.

Thanks for the info guys, this site is great!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X