cdi igniter help!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cdi igniter help!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 82 550gsl i am wondering if a igniter out of a 81 450 will work on my bike it is a differnent part # but it was used on 1980 gs550l.Any help would be great!

Thank you,
    Nascar24l

I'm referring to the parts diagrams at:
    Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Looking at the Signal Generator diagram, the igniter unit in the '81 GS450L has part number 32900-47020. The GS450E and GS450S have the same part number on their Signal Generator diagram.

The 1980 GS550L uses this same part number for its ignitor. However, by 1982, the GS550L used an igniter with part number 39200-47320. I'm not sure what the slight difference in part numbers means, but I'd suggest cross-referencing the part number that you actually need and picking up the right igniter off of eBay (and sell the one you have to fund the new one...) Electrical incompatibility could possibly break other expensive electrical things or cause weirdness to happen...

I wish that these parts sites could give cross-referencing information, rather than keeping us GS'ers clicking around and trying to figure everything out manually.

Comment

if the 450 is a 4 cylinder as well as the 550, I would think maybe. but definitely not if they are 2 and 4 cyls...?

if it's not too expensive may as well try it. I also found my 850 ignitor on ebay by searching on just the part numbers printed on the tag. anyone who knew what they had wanted >$100 or so, this one I got for $15 total!!!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
        if the 450 is a 4 cylinder as well as the 550, I would think maybe. but definitely not if they are 2 and 4 cyls...?
        Nope 450's be twins!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard

if it's not too expensive may as well try it. I also found my 850 ignitor on ebay by searching on just the part numbers printed on the tag. anyone who knew what they had wanted >$100 or so, this one I got for $15 total!!!
          The GS450 bikes are all two-cylinder models, but the igniter part number is the same between the 450's and (for example) the 1980 550's, which have four cylinders.

The 450's have a two-coil system, just firing one plug at a time instead of the four-cylinder engine's two at a time (with the spark of one of them "wasted", firing during the exhaust stroke).

Comment

Working...
          X