Attempted death during take off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempted death during take off

Hi guys, I have a question. The last couple of rides, my bike has been doing something funny.

When I'm at idle (at a red light for example) and the light goes green, I don't get the power response when I lay on the throttle, in fact sometimes my bike wants to stall. However this does not happen after first gear, or when riding normally.

It's a 1977 gs 550... I've done very little work on it, although the points were replaced and the carbs etc. have been adjusted.

Any thoughts,

Alex

Did you check the timing after you changed the points?

Comment

Sat;
      My bike acts like that when the temp is cold and I don't give it time to warm up.
      In first gear it boggs down a bit when I take off.
      This condition clears once it warms up. Is this what is happening with you ?? When it's cold

Comment

THat is exactly what's happening to me. When it's hot, it doesn't do that at all. Why the heepen bejesus does it do that?

Alex

Comment

Sat,
          Adjust your curb idle speed. It's the nob between the air box and the carbs on the low end.
          Let the bike warm up and adjust this speed. Usually in colder temps let it idle a bit higher...say 1150-1200. See how this affects things.

Cold bike is stiffer. Cold air is denser. Under load your starving your engine because of the increased load when it's cold.

Try adjusting the curb idle.

Comment

Thanks Sebby, it seems to be working.

Comment

Working...
            X