Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use for a fork seal driver? Other hints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use for a fork seal driver? Other hints?

Very soon now, I'm going to be disassembling my forks to change the seals. This is the first time I'll have done it myself.

I'll be making or borrowing the tool to keep the damper rod from spinning while I get the bottom allen bolt out, but I need to also make/find a fork seal driver for my 37mm forks. I don't have the new seals in hand yet, but I was wondering if someone else who's changed the seals in their GS with similar sized forks (GS1100G/GL/E i think are all the same) has found something that fits to drive the seals in right. (Maybe a certain diameter of PVC pipe, a certain large socket size, etc.)

Are there any other hints I should know not covered by Clymer? These are the GS1100GL forks with separate air (no air crossover tube).

Thanks!

I used a pipe vise with a rubber insert to keep the dampner from spinning, not much pressure.

As for the seals, the last time i did it i used the old seal on top of the new one and tapped it into place with a rubber mallet. Granted, this was not on the GS but most forks are similar.

10K miles later, no leaks.

good luck

Comment

I've reinstalled the caps with the springs in it and then tapped or hit the wrench with a hammer to loosen the nut. I've also used a wooden dowel to hold the damper rod.

For a seal driver I use a piece of PVC.

Comment

I use about a foot long piece of ABS plastic that is split down the length to accomodate different size fork tubes. Place the old seals on top of the new ones and slide the ABS pipe down and smack it into place. Be gentle though, cuz when you get it lined up just right it doesn't take much to push the seal into the hole.

Comment

I just use the old seal on top of the new one and tap it into place. I also made a rod to hold the damper rod by getting a piece of 1/2" ready rod about 24" long and double nutting one end. That way you can hold the damper rod by putting the tool in a vise and sliding the fork leg assembly over the rod. If you double nut both ends then you can hold the rod with a wrench instead but I find just putting it in a vise the easiest.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X