Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle cable not springing back

howdy-
    got a 1981 GS1000GL that i'm learning about. It's been in pieces for a long while, and i'm trying to get it back into shape.
    The throttle cable doesn't spring back when let go of. I didn't see anything wrong with it,,, but i'm missing something. Anyone have an idea of what this might be?
    By the way, i'm new to the site and want to mention how great it is!!!

thanks

Check that the return spring is hooked up on your carburetor correctly (or at all), and that your throttle cables don't have any kinks or are pinched somewhere. Also you can pull apart the switch on the handlebar and check where the cables are hooked in to see if its binding anywhere or was put together incorrectly.

If the cable itself doesn't slide freely, you should probably replace the cable.

Comment

Is it connected the Carbs? The carbs are the items that cause the cable to spring back. If they are connected throw a little lube in the cable and work it as they can get stiff and or bind with age.

The Beast

Comment

Two things I've found the hard way. If you have the adjustment a little too tight, it won't pull all the way down.
        Second, make sure the carbs are in alignment and the throttle linkage between them is not binding. Not sure on 4 carbs, but on my 2 carb setup, I found the bind in the location of where the sync screw is. The tab was not under the tab and was jaming the linkage. This would not allow the springs to pull it down to the idle stop. Once that was put back, it snaps back without issues.

Comment

I got this once when I was carless with the clamps on the carb boots, I let one of them hang over where it would catch one of the throttle adjusters (springs and screws and whatnot) when it was cranked... now that was a fun one on my first bike...!! vvvrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comment

Lubricate. Take the throttle off and lube the cable with some WD-40 or another lube/degreaser. my guess is your cable hasn't been lubed and is dry or nasty.

Comment

Working...
            X