choke circuit fuel pick-up tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke circuit fuel pick-up tube?

Still puzzling things out.....Hey I remember that this was a little messed up from PO. What would a messed up one of these effect? Thanks

A crushed or blocked choke tube means you will not have choke function on that cylinder.

Earl

Originally posted by yellow
    Still puzzling things out.....Hey I remember that this was a little messed up from PO. What would a messed up one of these effect? Thanks
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      A crushed or blocked choke tube means you will not have choke function on that cylinder.

Earl

Theoretically then, you would not have choke. Starting that cylinder would be pretty hard until it, engine, warmed up enough to help vaporize gas to that cylinder. Does that sound about right?

Comment

You'll have one heck of a time ever getting that cylinder up to temprature. And that's putting it gently.

Most importantly, how screwed up is that tube?

I would seriously recomend getting a good set of carbs.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
          You'll have one heck of a time ever getting that cylinder up to temprature. And that's putting it gently.

Most importantly, how screwed up is that tube?

I would seriously recomend getting a good set of carbs.

Nerobro - I believe you were the kind gent who offered to help me rebuild my carbs, properly. 83 gs550E

Anyway - the tube from what i remember has some solder on it, I left it alone it is not completely destroyed and there is a clear passage way, it might leak along the tube somewhere though. Starting characteristics:

Please keep in mind I order new rings for the intake boots to some friendly GS'rs.

Fires right up with choke. RPM's are completely dependent on choke at when first running. Then she will settle down and idle decently at 1100. Then after about 10 minutes of riding she begins to idle up to about 2300 (hence new orings). Interesting thing is at idle when warming up, 2nd pipe in from shifter side is cold. At about 3500 RPMS you definitely tell she kicks in and the pipe begins to warm. The difference becomes less and less at 3500 after she is warm.

Comment

That's interesting.... when I was checking out my bike before purchase I noticed the second cyl was cold.... it concerned me until it heated up. I haven't been able to get it hot since. Maybe I'll run it for a while tonight to see if I can get it to vaporize... might indicate this choke tube

Comment

well that tells me a LOT. Sounds like your choke circut is just fine. Thankfully. :-) You're also describing exactly what my 9years idle 83 550es did. It had painfully gummed up pilot jets. Go buy a cheap brass brush, and break out your needle nose vice grips.

you need to pull out a bristle from the brass brush, and use that to clean out the pilot jets.

what I did was soaked the pilot jets whle doing a normal carb cleaning, then I run the brass brush bristle though, taking care to try and twist the tip through. Then I put the pilot jet on the nossle of the carb cleaner can and blow out the crud.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
              X