No announcement yet.

Rusted tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, the peoples site are definitely full of resources :-)

Once I get my carbs kit and petcock rebuilt I will do a basic clean of the tank and see the extent of damage made by rust, maybe I can get away with a strong clean, otherwise I will probably go the POR-15 route ( and add an online filter to protect these newly rebuilt carbs .. )

Just fitting new tires took more time than planned ( these Dunlops are way more rigid than Cheng shin, fortunately I have 3 tire levers.. )
    I still target to put it on the road in 2-3 weeks .

Thanks,

Sylvain
    GS650GL

Comment

I have a 17 year old son who's always look'n to show off his arms... so I asked him to come help me with my tank. Plugged and capped the openings after dropping in a 3' length of small gauge chain. Handed my son the tank and said... "Shake this in every possible direction for a while". Did an excellent job of breaking loose the majority of the loose flaky stuff inside my tank. I then went the POR-15 route including the extra stripper step for the previously unstuck sealant. I really LIKE the finished product. A heavy, coating of what looks like aluminized epoxy sealant. The first tank I did... I used a double handful of plain loose hardware. Did a great job of cleaning, but it took me literally hours to remove it all from the inside of the tank. About half of what I put in there was stainless, so a magnet just ignored it. A length of chain is the cat's meow

Comment

Working...
      X