Chasing leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing leaks

I have this leak at the bottom of the stator cover that will not go away. I changed the gasket the other day (for the fourth time), this time using a splash of Loctite gasket sealer, and I'll be damned if there wasn't a bit of oil on my left boot yesterday while riding.
    Anyway, two things I wanted to ask. I'v having trouble seeing exactly where this oil is coming from. One thought was it is coming through the bolts. I changed the factory screws with stainless hexheads from boltdepot, and now I wonder if maybe the shoulder on these new bolts are narrower than the old screws, allowing oil to weep through the holes.
    Another thought I had to help me spot the exact origin of this bastard leak was adding flourescent dye to the crankcase. I've done that many a time on cars before, but I don't know if that is a good idea with a wet clutch.

Originally posted by qslim
    I have this leak at the bottom of the stator cover that will not go away. I changed the gasket the other day (for the fourth time), this time using a splash of Loctite gasket sealer, and I'll be damned if there wasn't a bit of oil on my left boot yesterday while riding.
    Anyway, two things I wanted to ask. I'v having trouble seeing exactly where this oil is coming from. One thought was it is coming through the bolts. I changed the factory screws with stainless hexheads from boltdepot, and now I wonder if maybe the shoulder on these new bolts are narrower than the old screws, allowing oil to weep through the holes.
    Another thought I had to help me spot the exact origin of this bastard leak was adding flourescent dye to the crankcase. I've done that many a time on cars before, but I don't know if that is a good idea with a wet clutch.
    The tricky part of leaks is that they are not always where you think they are. I would check up higher and see if the oil is trickling down from above.

Comment

On mine it was leaking out the rubber grommet (stator wire) which is behind the front sprocket cover. The leak would run down inside cover and drip off bottom of stator cover. Just a thought.

Comment

The fluorescent leak-detect dye is the cat's meow brother! I use it frequently. A powerful black-light makes that an even better troubleshoot. The trick is to catch the leak at its earliest stage. Rinse the area down thoroughly with degreaser and wash it with soap and water. remove every trace of leak possible. Crank and run it as little as possible to make the oil show. You want to find that first drop from wherever it's weeping out.

Comment

I had the same trouble a long time ago with a Katana 550. After a long ride, my left foot was covered in oil. I completely degreased the engine and let it run for ages while watching for the source of the leak. Nothing. . . . Not a damp patch to be seen. Took the bike for a ride and ended up with a oily left foot again.

I eventually traced the problem to the oil seal around the plunger which operates the clutch. The bike leaked a small amount of oil everytime the clutch was pulled in and out again.

If you still can't find the leak, Take off the sprocket cover and degrease the plunger. Put the cover back and run the engine until its hot, then pull the clutch in several times. Check the plunger again. If its wet, you've found the leak. Hope it helps.

Comment

Try cleaning the stator area and the base of the #1 cylinder. Start the bike up and let it run for a little while. If you don't see a leak right off and are worried about the engine getting too hot get an electric fan to blow some air over the engine.

I hope you don't have a leak coming from the base gasket. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by qslim
              The gasket should prevent oil leaking through the bolt holes. Oil in the interior of the alternator cavity is at the very bottom, so if the leak is coming from the alternator cover it's probably at the bottom.

Has the bike ever tipped over from the sidestand on the alternator side? This can cause a hairline crack in the alternator case which will seep or leak oil depending on the size of the crack. A hairline crack like this can be hard to see if you're not looking for it. I had a crack like this and fixed it with JB Weld. The repair is below the visible part of the case and could be considered permanent. I have another alternator cover just in case, but I doubt if I'll have to use it.

Comment

Working...
              X