Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding a wave

1983 750 ES
    Carbs checked & cleaned valves at spec. new plugs New Air Filter.

The bike in the past would actully stall out & act like it was starving for fule either in prime or Vacum. Now it dosent stall but in 4th gear stedy at 6K it feels like I am riding a jet ski all though it be gentel in waves, it has a small surge. Open the throttle or close the throttle and it stops but at the stedy curse it just pulses ever so gently. Any help on this one.

Pat
    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM.

Help now the thoughts are heading towards coils but I just dont know. I need some input please.

Comment

When it's doing that hit the kill switch, pull in the clutch and chop the throttle for a plug check. It sounds to me to be the perfect description of a lean surge. Checking the plugs might reveal this. Check at what throttle opening it's happening at but my guess it's running to lean on the needle jet. Maybe Keith Krause can chime in with some more detail if you can provide more info.
      Last edited by Sandy; 04-22-2006, 12:46 AM.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Hi,

Just an thought.. Did you carefully inspect your carbs diaphragms when you cleaned them up ?

Sylvain
        GS650GL
        XS650Sg

Comment

Someone else mentioned possabil cluch slippage. thet pretty much covers the complete bike huh? Fuel,spark Trans.:? :?
          Pat

Comment

I also think it sounds like a textbook lean surge.

Have you checked float height carefully? I had to monkey with this three times to get it right after installing aftermarket float valves.

1/2mm makes a difference, so take your time with it. If they're already perfectly at spec, then you may want to try raising the float level slightly. This will mean DEcreasing the measurement, since you measure with the carbs upside-down.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

lapls Hi,

Just an thought.. Did you carefully inspect your carbs diaphragms when you cleaned them up ?
              Yes went through them w/ a fine tooth comb they look great. Thanks

Sandy When it's doing that hit the kill switch, pull in the clutch and chop the throttle for a plug check. It sounds to me to be the perfect description of a lean surge. Checking the plugs might reveal this. Check at what throttle opening it's happening at but my guess it's running to lean on the needle jet. Maybe Keith Krause can chime in with some more detail if you can provide more info.
              Ok I did some resherch on lean surge & when I checked the plugs when I changed them. 1 was a golden brown 2 & 3 were more white then brown & 4 was more brown then white. I think the next reply will be did I sync the carbs & all I can say is, is there a sync for dummies section [-o<

Comment

Working...
              X