valve cover gasket problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover gasket problems

I am changing the valve cover gasket on a 1983 Suzuki GS1100E. I need to find out how much torque and what sequence the bolts have to go in. Help will be well appreciated.

6.5 foot lbs. on my 850, not sure about your bike but it should be in the same range...check your manual in the section on valve adjustment.

You would want to torque them from the inside out, evenly on both sides. No order is given in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by pinner
      I am changing the valve cover gasket on a 1983 Suzuki GS1100E. I need to find out how much torque and what sequence the bolts have to go in. Help will be well appreciated.
      A few tips, (I have changed mine 3 times over the past 7 months. Use some type of non hardening sealer. I like permatex ultra copper spray on. If you are fortunate to be able to easily get out all your bolts that's a great thing! The V/C bolts frequently sieze, and are a nightmare to remove. (I had to pull my whole engine to get the one I snapped)!! Before replacing the V/C remove the tach drive gear. If you attach the v/c with the gear assembly in the cover, you have to be VERY carefull, as you can have the gears meshed incorrectly, and when you go to torque down the v/c bolts, the gears bind and will crack the v/c. After you have the v/c in place, insert the gear assembly, and you are done. Good luck,
      Rich
      Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2006, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I use grey RTV sealant, and it's always still rubbery when I need to do another valve adjustment. Usually pulls off with one tug. The trick is to put a micro thin layer on. Also, I think my manual says 8ft lbs. for the VC bolts. I don't even have a torque wrench that goes that low, so all I do is finger tight then a slight spin (maybe 1/4 turn) with the spanner.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

What I do is to ...

1. Remove the 1100 head
          2. Replace with 1150 head

Makes the valve cover work a lot easier

( Just kidding ) But that is really what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by pinner
            These are the specs for my 1980 GS1100E. It's probably the same for yours.

The Clymer manual states "Tighten all the bolts gradually and evenly in a crisscross pattern; torque them to 6.5 - 7.0 ft.-lb.

Comment

thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X