Friday motorcycle diagnosis, repair.. with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday motorcycle diagnosis, repair.. with pics

Well, seccond friday in a row my bike let me down. Last friday I stopped with a fried battery. Today, a flat battery. I did manage to complete my main mission of the day, I have forkseals to install tomorow!

So, this looks pretty normal doesn't it? This is the regulator rectifier from a 1983 GS550ES. While sitting in the parknig lot waiting for someone to jump me I did a r/r test. And it failed completely on one circue, which means all the bikes juice was coming from a single "side" of the stator.

Um... It's not quite so normal. It's quite literally burned. I had a spare off a 1985 550es in the basement. That made this a seriously quick fix.

Mixing the stuff. In a spoon even!

The result. This is a "quick fix" to skreemers completely stripped out valve cover mounting stud. It happens to be part of the camshaft bearing.. Nifty design. Crap form the repair aspect. I coated the screw with wax in hope of being able to unscrew it. Worst case scenario we just need to take the bearing to the machine ship like we planned in the first place.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

I am sorry you have no charge, but loved the photos.. Like an episode of american chopper.. Very cool.

I dont seem to have the patience to make a repair while taking photos though...

CJ

Comment

Funny thing is. I had a spare R/R from a 1985 gs550es in the basement. So it was no big deal at all. However the bearing cap is toast... I need to have it helicoiled this week. Then skreemer's bike will be just fine. :-)

I tried to install forkseals today. And failed. I was unable to seperate the damper rod from the bolt. I even bought an impact wrench to do it. Now here's the funny thing... since we didn't manage to diassemble everything we just put it back togother again. After filling the forks with oil.... they didn't leak anymore. At all. I don't get it. I put 10w in them.. which is way to light. After checking I need 3" fork preload spacers, and I was unable to push the fork caps down with the 3" spacers... 2" is probally the most I could put in them. For now, I'm spacerless. :-/ I"m still wondering how I managed to blow that much fork oil out of the forks and have them seal perfectly like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
        After filling the forks with oil.... they didn't leak anymore.
        give them a little time to pump up some pressure (air) they will start leaking again. (lol)

Comment

They had no pressure in them.. and I don't run any pressure. Pressure really should just help them seal though..

Comment

Now is the time to check your dryer. There will be Mannnnnnny extra socks in it this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
              Now is the time to check your dryer. There will be Mannnnnnny extra socks in it this morning.

Heh. I THINK I get that... should be look for pens too?

Comment

REady for this one? My left forkseal puked up on the way home friday morning. The right one? yaknow the one I was tryingto fix? is still sealed solidly.

Comment

Working...
                X