1982 Gs1100G pumping oil onto the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs1100G pumping oil onto the ground

Over the winter I put on a new head gasket, did a valve adjustment and replaced the exhaust and coild. Bike is running AOK!!

When it is running it is pumping oil out of the engine though what appears to be a hole at the crankcase above the exhaust system.

It seems to me as though I have read something about things like this before but I don't recall. Any guidance??

Where exactly is this hole? "Above the exhaust system" could describe the entire engine, since the exhaust runs under the engine.

I'm going to take a wild guess just for giggles, though -- could it be the tachometer cable fitting? Is the tach cable attached?

Some tach cable fitting photos:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did you install new 0-rings on the cylinder head, the two front/center head nuts.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

This is on the G model.

On the left side of the bike below the place add oil for the primary drive, there appears to be a small hole the oil is being pumped out of.

I think the o rings you are referencing are on the E model and not on the G.

Comment

Hey Robin,

My first though was same as Brian, Was suspecting the tach drive cable port, about a half inch hole, but that is in the head (in front, above exhaust, near center) and you said in crankcase.

Tell us more about the location of this hole.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Robin, Our posts past each other . . .

Oh, that sounds like the oil level hole for the gear lube, behind the cover, right? On the side of the case, correct? Below and to the rear of the fill plug for the front shaft drive case, correct? May have some lettering on the case, say something like "fill level".
            If so : is suppose to be a bolt in that hole. Suppose to take out the bolt when filling gear lube oil, fill up till lube oil is up to that level, then replace bolt.

Also, You said engine oil .... Is whats leaking a bit thicker than the engine oil, like the 80-90 weight gear lube?
            Last edited by Redman; 04-22-2006, 11:31 AM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I do not have to remove the cover to see the hole. It is below the cover on the engine case and I am confident (not sure without a doubt) that this is engine oil as the oil level drops in accordance with the spill.

Comment

I little help with location.

When you get very low on the left side of the bike you can see the gear shift indication swith (with the wiring coming out of it) Just to the front of this there is another Chamber (for lack of a better word) where this hole is located in its roof. I shined a flashlight up there the best I could to try to ascertain if it had threads but could not tell. In all honesty if it did have threads I am at a loss as to how I could get a bolt in there.

Comment

Hi,
                  Try searching for words "oil leak" on here. On page 1 there is a post about a leak by a "weep hole" and how it was fixed. Maybe this can help. Sorry I don't know how to put a direct link to that thread here.

Dan

Comment

Headway.

I pulled off the starter cover and found that oil was being pumped up there through the hole the stator wiring travels through.

I question if this is the o-ring issue and not exactly sure of next steps, but right now I need to stop and fix my daughters brakes on her car.

I ran to the salvage yard and confirmed the hole was not to have a plug in it. The owner suggested I have overfilled the oil which could be but other thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

last night I looked at my oil glass and I Could not see oil, so I added and ended up adding 3 quarts. I was assuming I had pumped it all out but I am thinking I may have changed the oil right after the head gasket and it has put on less than 20 miles since then and I was adding to a full crank case.

I think this meets the category of stupid and inept motorcycle maintenace ... Is there a book by that title?

Comment

Oops, I was thinking it was a 24 valve head.

I'm the type that would run into a burning house with a 5 gallon gas can saying what the heck is going on in here.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Ahhhhhh! My long lost twin brother. (Shut up Leon).

PS. Be sure you put your kickstand down when you park the bike. Just a word of wisdom.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

well you found it before I could post, but the stator cover will have to come off as there is a rubber plug under the cover that the stator wires pass through, if this plug somehoh comes out of its place oil will get pumped up and into the starter cavity and then it drains out through the drain hole under the starter.

make sure it is not coming pass the starter nose shaft O-ring and is infact coming in through the stator wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet
                              Ahhhhhh! My long lost twin brother. (Shut up Leon).

PS. Be sure you put your kickstand down when you park the bike. Just a word of wisdom.
                              only if he has a habbit of forgetting his side stand!!!:-\" :-\"

Comment

Working...
                              X