Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 GS850G: Do I have the wrong carb intake boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850G: Do I have the wrong carb intake boots?

I recently aquired a 79 GS850G. I figured I'd replace the o-rings on the carb boots cause thats one thing the previous owner said he didn't do. He put in new carb boots but no o-rings. When the new o-rings arrived and I tried installing them they would always slip off inside the boot. In fact the o-ring verily covers the hole on the boot and there was no groove for the o-ring to set in. Isn't there usually a groove for the o-ring to set in? I got looking at the numbers on the new intake boot VM28-200. Are these boots for a VM28 carb? I know the 79 gs850g model is the VM26 carbs. So am I installing these carb boot o-rings wrong or do I have the wrong carb boots?

Are you talking about the boots betweeen the engine and the carbs like this?

Here's a shot of one of the o-rings in place ready to install:

These photos are from a later GS850G, but I know the 1979 models with the VM carbs are very similar even though they are different part numbers and sized differently.

A picture might help, since I'm having trouble picturing what you're dealing with from the description.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

O-rings are different for post '79 models. After '79 they changed the manifold boots. I ordered the O-rings listed on Bwringers site, but they don't fit pre-80 models.

'79 manifold boots should have a grove for the O-ring. Its just a different size than later models. Hope that helps.

Comment

(Beware the retail whoring below!)

FYI I've got intake boot o-rings for all our bikes, including the '79 for sale in my ebay store. I'm running a GSResources special this month of four o-rings for $4.50 shipped in the US or Canada. If you buy from my store use the seller discount to reduce the total to $4.50.

PM me or message me on ebay if you don't know your part number. The '79 takes 09280-32006.

/\/\ac

Comment

Okay, I took this pic. There is a molded raised ring on the boot, the side that goes against the manifold. But I don't see how this would make a good seal. The ring seems to large, verly setting on the manifold. I also just tried attaching the boots to the carb and they seem way to loose. On my GK I had, I remember having to really muscle the carbs onto the boots. Makes me think I have the wrong boots. Especially the numbers printed on the boots 'vm28-200', could these be for a vm28 carb?
          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Perhaps not a pic, keeps telling me its 'in progress'. But 'no' Mark there is no groove for the o-ring. I'm pretty sure I have the wrong boots now. If I mount the boots to the manifold and you look thru them into the engine there is no smooth transition where the boots and manifold meet, in fact the boot hole opening is about 3mm bigger than the manifold hole opening. If I only knew what model they fit so I can sell them.

Comment

The pic is very fuzzy, but it appears the raised ring could be the remains of the original o-ring.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Doesn't look like any (of the fairly few) GS intake boots I've seen.

/\/\ac

Comment

Mark--
                  I apologize for steering you wrong with the o-ring page on my site! I see now that it does not mention that earlier GS850s are different, and I'll correct that ASAP.

Macmatic--
                  Can you confirm that the 80-83 GS850 all use the same o-ring that I show on my site? Also, I'd be happy to mention that you sell the correct o-rings for all GS models that use them -- PM me with the details you'd like me to post if you wouldn't mind.

Fanman -
                  Also, shouldn't the flat surface of the mounting flange be aluminum? In the part you have, it looks to be molded rubber.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by fanman
                    Okay, I took this pic. There is a molded raised ring on the boot, the side that goes against the manifold. But I don't see how this would make a good seal. The ring seems to large, verly setting on the manifold. I also just tried attaching the boots to the carb and they seem way to loose. On my GK I had, I remember having to really muscle the carbs onto the boots. Makes me think I have the wrong boots. Especially the numbers printed on the boots 'vm28-200', could these be for a vm28 carb?
                    If you Google that part number, it looks like an aftermarket carb flange for mounting Mikuni carbs onto dirt bikes. It's definitely not the correct Suzuki part. As you noted, everything should line up so that the transition between the boot and the head is fairly smooth, as seen in these photos:

Eat more venison.

Comment

Thanks bwringer and everyone else for the reply's. I Google'd the number and your right, definately not for the 79 gs850g. Well poo, I guess its bikebandit time on payday to order the correct carb/manifold boots at $25 each. Anyone know any cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                        Macmatic--
                        Can you confirm that the 80-83 GS850 all use the same o-ring that I show on my site? Also, I'd be happy to mention that you sell the correct o-rings for all GS models that use them -- PM me with the details you'd like me to post if you wouldn't mind.
                        Bwringer,

Yes, all 80-83 GS850's use the same PN. (09280-38004) and the '79 alone uses the 09280-32006. Last year for the old style carbs I think?

And thanks! I'll PM you as soon as I find out what happend to all my bookmarks.... wrestling with the computer was NOT my plan today!

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                          Mark--
                          I apologize for steering you wrong with the o-ring page on my site! I see now that it does not mention that earlier GS850s are different, and I'll correct that ASAP.
                          Want some O-rings cheap? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by fanman
                            Thanks bwringer and everyone else for the reply's. I Google'd the number and your right, definately not for the 79 gs850g. Well poo, I guess its bikebandit time on payday to order the correct carb/manifold boots at $25 each. Anyone know any cheaper?
                            http://www.ronayers.com/ is usually a little cheaper. You'll need the Suzuki part no. however, they won't look it up for you. Bike Bandit isn't any help because they have their own part numbers.

Comment

For a '79 GS850G you want four of PN 13110-49000, about $23.50ea at Ronayers.com I think.

....I need to take up rubber moulding as a hobby...

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                              X