Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning questions

newbie here...

what does everyone use to clean their bikes?

what to use to clean the engine components?

what to use to clean the chrome?

what to use to clean painted areas?

thanks everyone

also..in the old q&a under maintainence...

"I know I'm going to get a lot of responses to this...but, what is the best way to remove rust from the chrome pipes? I have been semi-successful with just a steel brush. I will try steel wool next. I have heard rumors of the effectiveness of "Mothers" and have had warnings about "Navel Jelly"? There is evidence of some battery acid that has leaked on the pipes from the overflow tube on the battery, that has rusted on the pipe. Suggestions!!!

RIDER: Daniel Downey

REPLY: Frank Perreault
    If the battery acid ate through the chrome there is nothing you can do to shine it. For polishing good chrome, Semichrome Polish or Mother's should do the trick. If it doesn't, you've eaten through the chrome coating and there isn't too much you can do about it.

You should never use a steel brush on chrome, that is unless you want it to look scratched. The same goes with steel wool unless it's the non-soaped, extra fine variety and you go real lightly"

I have light rust on chrome areas which I know would come off with light steel wool, but it sounds like it poses the risk of scratching the chrome..would Mothers alone be able to remedy that issue? Or will I need to go the steel wool (extra fine) route?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2006, 05:59 PM.

for taking light surface rust off of good chrome try a good chrome polish. I've used pig snot but there's probably better. Just apply some on the spot and rub until its all gone.

Comment

and for the engine stuff?

Comment

I personally prefer (Quad-Ought) 0000 grade steel wool (unsoaped) with a polish like Mother's® or Flitz®. Flitz is my hands down favorite. I use that on both chrome and polished aluminum. I've never had any problem with that combination. I even found that the 0000 steel wool and M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl ketone, which is the base chemical in fingernail polish remover) is phenomenal at removing the ancient clearcoat on the polished aluminum on these older bikes. DO use rubber gloves with the MEK.

Comment

Working...
        X