cam end plugs don't fit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam end plugs don't fit??

As some of you may recall, my GS1000 blew out a cam end plug a couple of weeks ago. So I ordered new end plugs from bikebandit and a silicone valve cover gasket (breather gasket too) from realgaskets.com. The parts arrived this week so I attempted to install them today. I put a thin coat of threebond 1104 on the plugs and stuck em in.

The new end plugs don't seem to fit though. They are "proud" (as the brits say) above the gasket surface by about .025". So there's a big air gap and that's gonna mean a big oil leak.

Will the end plugs compress when I tighten the cover screws down? And if so, how tight to I have to torque them? With the silicone gasket you're only supposed to torque the screws 15 in-lbs, which isn't very tight at all. Not sure that will do the trick.

Anyone else run into this or have any ideas? Doesn't look right to me and I'm not sure what to do about it.

thanks,
    Debby
    1979 GS1000N
    2019 Kaw Z900RS
    plus a few more

Yes, new cam end plugs are larger than they look like they should be. When you tighten the cam cover down they fit themselves tightly into the cut out. I'm afraid I've got bad news, putting the bond on the end plugs wasn't a good idea. I was taught that it was very important that the cut out is clean and dry and that the cam end plugs are too, they could spit out otherwise. Since the deed is already done and if its too late to clean everything off I would say let the bike sit for a day or two before start up. Hopefully they will stay put.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2006, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Debby, If you are intent on using the silicone gasket (I prefer OEM), I would recommend cleaning off the threebond, install the seals dry, install v/cover without a gasket and torque to factory specs. This will seat the seals. They will crush somewhat. You can then remove the cover to install the gasket of your choice. At 15 inch lbs. of torque for the silicone gasket, I would recommend using blue loctite on the bolts as they may want to come loose.......BadBillyB

Comment

Uh oh. I think I ruined the new plugs. I took them out and I can't get the threebond off them. Blah.

So I put the old ones back in. I cleaned them up, flipped them around backwards per Jethro's advice, put everything together, then smeared some hi-temp silicone around the exterior. The previous mechanic did that (silicone, not backwards) and it seemed to work.

Will try it out later this week (after the silicone cures and tomorrow's winter storm passes) and post an update!

cautiously optimistic,
        Debby
        1979 GS1000N
        2019 Kaw Z900RS
        plus a few more

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB
          Debby, If you are intent on using the silicone gasket (I prefer OEM), I would recommend cleaning off the threebond, install the seals dry, install v/cover without a gasket and torque to factory specs. This will seat the seals. They will crush somewhat. You can then remove the cover to install the gasket of your choice. At 15 inch lbs. of torque for the silicone gasket, I would recommend using blue loctite on the bolts as they may want to come loose.......BadBillyB
          Don't want to hijack this thread, but what's the knock on the silicone gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
            Don't want to hijack this thread, but what's the knock on the silicone gasket?
            Said to stop the leaks and be reusable for the life of the bike. $25 vs $15 for the cheezy paper gasket (bikebandit price) that has to be replaced every time because it sticks and tears.

Hype or truth? I'll find out soon enough!

Debby
            1979 GS1000N
            2019 Kaw Z900RS
            plus a few more

Comment

That's what I thought too. Since I need a new VC gasket, I was trying to find any negatives about them before I committed the $.

Comment

I love my silicone RealGasket. Seriously. It's everything promised.

Treat it right -- don't over-torque the bolts, wash it only in dish soap and hot water (NEVER gas or mineral spirits) -- and it will outlast you.

People commonly over-torque the valve cover bolts when they install a RealGasket, which squashes and ruins it. 15 inch-pounds is only 1.25 foot-pound, way too low for commonly available torque wrenches to read accurately. I use finger tight plus maybe 1/2 turn. All the bolts stay put and the gasket does not leak.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                  I love my silicone RealGasket. Seriously. It's everything promised.

Treat it right -- don't over-torque the bolts, wash it only in dish soap and hot water (NEVER gas or mineral spirits) -- and it will outlast you.

People commonly over-torque the valve cover bolts when they install a RealGasket, which squashes and ruins it. 15 inch-pounds is only 1.25 foot-pound, way too low for commonly available torque wrenches to read accurately. I use finger tight plus maybe 1/2 turn. All the bolts stay put and the gasket does not leak.
                  I just bought one, but haven't installed it yet. They're used on airplanes, which says a lot to me for the gasket's reliability and durability when properly installed. Harold, the owner of Real Gaskets is a real gentleman, and gives personal service.

Comment

Thanks guys. I ordered one.

Comment

Blah

I test rode the bike last night and no joy

Big oil leak from the cam plug on the exhaust cam left side. I'll have to go back in and make those new plugs fit.

Need new rear brake pads too. The brake got drenched in oil and the pads are fouled. Rear brake no workee. Spraying the rotor and pads with brake cleaner didn't work.

So the big guy is going to be down a while longer...

Debby
                      1979 GS1000N
                      2019 Kaw Z900RS
                      plus a few more

Comment

I know people say not to seal the plugs, but if it were me, I'd put an extremely light coat of grey RTV sealant on the seating surface of the plugs. Grey RTV is great stuff, I've removed my valve cover gasket after 7000 miles and it pulls off like a rubber band, clean as a whistle. Just make sure that the coat is so light that no sealant can squeeze out when you torque the cover back on.

Been meaning to get a RealGasket, everyone raves about them.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by debby
                          I test rode the bike last night and no joy

Big oil leak from the cam plug on the exhaust cam left side. I'll have to go back in and make those new plugs fit.

Need new rear brake pads too. The brake got drenched in oil and the pads are fouled. Rear brake no workee. Spraying the rotor and pads with brake cleaner didn't work.

So the big guy is going to be down a while longer...

Debby
                          You need to careful concluding the leak is from the cam-end plug. I thought my leak originated there, only to find the wind was blowing the oil from the front/left area of the valve cover gasket. Unless the plug is not fitting correctly, it's hard to see how a big leak could spring from there.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
                            You need to careful concluding the leak is from the cam-end plug. I thought my leak originated there, only to find the wind was blowing the oil from the front/left area of the valve cover gasket. Unless the plug is not fitting correctly, it's hard to see how a big leak could spring from there.
                            I was watching the oil run out from what looked like the top of the cam plug as the bike sat idling in my driveway (I left the little end covers off). No wind this time! Could be damage to the sealing surface in that area, or a shrunken end cap, won't know until I go in for a look.

Debby
                            1979 GS1000N
                            2019 Kaw Z900RS
                            plus a few more

Comment

Working...
                            X