My gas guage is off when tank is full?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My gas guage is off when tank is full?

Now that i've burned a few tanks of fuel, I am realizing my sending unit seems to read off. When full, my guage reads 3/4 full, and when the guage reads empty, I only took 4 gallons of fuel (I never hit reserve). Does this sound correct? Can you bend the float arm as an adjustment? Thanks,
    Rich

Yes, you can bend the float arm, but while it's out of the tank, you might wanna follow some maintenence I have written up:
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=fuel+gauge
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Yes, you can bend the float arm, but while it's out of the tank, you might wanna follow some maintenence I have written up:
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ght=fuel+gauge
      Yot gotta give Jethro's tip a try.
      If anything it is about as fun as a bar IQ tester:-D
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

That's right! Have fun getting the square peg in the round hole!!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I serviced my fuel gauge as per Jethro's article and it's working fairly consistently now

But while it reads "full" when the tank is full, it goes to "empty" about when I run onto reserve. So it seems to function as an indicator of how much fuel I have left before needing reserve! Not exactly what I would like, but I guess it's better than nothing.

I put my faith in the trip odometer!

Debby
          1979 GS1000N
          2019 Kaw Z900RS
          plus a few more

Comment

I actually have mine taken apart right now. If you need to see any pictures let me know and I can snap em. It's a very simple adjustment with a multimeter.

While looking for a float at a local salvage shop I found a nearly identical unit in much better condition. I was able to remove the float from the old wand, cut the old wand out, put the float on the GS 1100L wand, and its currently being JB Welded back onto the unit (That was all necessary because the wands didnt have a fixing nut, but was crimped instead. The washer off the new unit's wand became the new welded crimp )

Comment

The gauge was working great on my '80 GS850G then JUST today started reading red and empty while it was 3/4 full. I checked the wires and they are good. Guess I will have to take it apart.

Comment

I will have to take mine apart at some time as well. Mine reads 1/2 when it is about 1/4 full. I'm glad I have figured that out beofre a long ride!

Comment

Now you know why they tell you never trust a fuel gauge in them little airplanes. Gas stations are never where you need 'em up there. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by debby
                    I serviced my fuel gauge as per Jethro's article and it's working fairly consistently now

But while it reads "full" when the tank is full, it goes to "empty" about when I run onto reserve. So it seems to function as an indicator of how much fuel I have left before needing reserve!
                    Debby
                    That exactly describes how my gauge works, 78GS1000N.........BadBillyB

Comment

Mine too, ever since it was a brand new bike.

Comment

Working...
                      X