lost seat lock key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost seat lock key

Had to replace my seat lock years ago, and got 2 new keys to open the compartment. Have subsequently lost them both. Ignition key (of which I still have both) does not work on the seat lock since this replacement.
    1. Suggestions of how to open the seat. I need to re-install the battery.
    2. Any aftermarket seat lock and key sets out there?

1978 GS750E

Can you reach the latch from the backside to release the seat? Unless you can see the key# stamp on it. I don't know if they do that. Allen

Comment

Smitty

Is the latch on the side of the seat? If so you should be able to get the blade of a pocket knife or other flat blade in there and push the plunger in. I had to do this on my GS550-it wouldn't retract with the key.
      As for keys, there should be a number stamped on the lock where you insert the key. Take that # to a locksmith and they should be able to cut you a new key.

Good Luck!

Scott

Comment

If you ride up to a locksmith shop, they should be able to pop it open for you and make a key regardless of whether the key number shows on the lock. It might be more expensive than you'd like!

Comment

Had to get new keys for mine last year, cost $35 for two. The other day my wife found my original in a drawer where she put them for safe keeping when we moved several years back. They sure were safe. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

helmet lock

I lost my ignition key on 82 gs100, had to take helmet lock in, around $15.00 and 10 minutes I was ready to ride.

Just a thought

boot

Comment

the seat should be set up to be able to shut it without a key, so it has a sloped end on the latch. if you reach in with a long straight screwdriver, you should be able to wiggle the seat back as far as possible from to give some room, and reach in and push the latch back.

just did this on an L model, it was a snap! (of course the salvage yard guy had his hammer and had already mangled the lock trying, I just popped it right off when he turned his back...) ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X