What tires should I replace mine with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tires should I replace mine with

I own a 1982 Suzuki Gs450L, I'm trying to replace my wore out tires but cannot find them anywhere. The front tire is an Irc 3.60-r19, and the rear tire is an Irc 4.60-r16. Does anyone know what size tires would be a suitable replacement. Thank you in advance.

conversions

Hi, here is a link to a chart showing the modern size designations.
    ALWAYS use the exact tire size, type, speed and load rating recommended by the manufacturer of your motorcycle. Never try to second-guess the designers and engineers with regards to tire size, type, speed or load rating! Use the information on this page for general reference only and not for choosing motorcycle tires.

Seems to me like your best choices for front would be a 100/90-19, and the back a 130/90-16. Those you'll find are very common sizes, lots of brand choices.

Comment

Measure carefully before you put the 100/90 on the front. I tried that on the 450 we had here for a while and it was TIGHT. I think I ended up grinding down the bolt heads on the fender bolts to get just a smidge more room.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
        Measure carefully before you put the 100/90 on the front. I tried that on the 450 we had here for a while and it was TIGHT. I think I ended up grinding down the bolt heads on the fender bolts to get just a smidge more room.
        So what size would you recommend? I'm in the same boat with my 82 GS450L

Comment

You should use a 90/90/19 for the front I'm guessing 120/90/16 rear 130 may be too wide??
          120/90=MR90=4.50/4.75
          130/90=5.00/5.10
          Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the 130/90 would be way too wide.

There aren't a lot of choices in 120/90-16, but this is the same size my wife's Honda uses. Someone crammed a 130 on there before we bought it, and it was far too wide and made the bike handle oddly. It also had a much wider flat spot as it wore down.

The choices we found in 120/90-16 are the Cheng Shin HiMax, Continental TKH24, IRC Durotour RS-310, and Kenda K-657 Sport Challenger. All are good choices (even the cheapest modern tire is far better than anything available in the early '80s). I'd lean toward the Cheng Shin HiMax, personally.

You can check 'em out and order here:
            Let Ted Tread and team get you going on the road safely

If you're having a shop install the tires, they will likely insist on ordering them, but at least this will give you an idea what to order and how much you're getting ripped off.

Their web site is an eyesore, but Tires Unlimited is a real live tire warehouse in Dayton, OH. They have just about everything they sell in stock and ready to ship the same day at excellent prices, and you can call and talk to an actual human being if you want. Most of the internet tire places are just some slug in his Mom's basement with a catalog.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X