Fun with a timing light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun with a timing light

Well, after 15 years of doing my own service on my GS's, I finally bought a timing light. Trying to overcome my fear of electrical issues. What I discovered was that my timing on the 83 1100E was WAY off. I adjusted that, and it seems the bike runs smoother, but I noticed something that may be odd. When on the 1/4 coil wires, the flashing is super consistant. But on the right coil, cyls 2/3, the flashing seems a little iffy, like it skips a beat every now and then. What should I do? I checked voltage to the coils, it is ok, and cleaned all the connectors as best I can. Would this be a faulty coil or maybe the ignition? Or maybe it's not really a problem? The bike hesitates just off the line a little bit.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I doubt its a problem. Unless you have a super expensive timing light, they'll miss a beat every now and then, that's my experience.

Comment

I don't know Geoff, but could it be spark plug wires???
      You know the age of them.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
        I don't know Geoff, but could it be spark plug wires???
        You know the age of them.
        Yeah, sure could. They look perfect, but looks aren't everything!:-D
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Don't be conserned about it MY 850 does it too. It's just getting a false signal

Comment

How did you adjust it? I thought they were non-adjustable..??

Comment

When I saw this thread title I thought it was those two madmen from the Mythbusters about to do something.

Disappointed now.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                MY 850 does it too.
                My 750 also does it. I've wondered whether it's an indication of a problem with the coils, wires, or something else. The bike runs beautifully - even at high revs - and the plugs all look good, so I'm assuming there's nothing really wrong, but...

Comment

Originally posted by 83'GK
                  How did you adjust it? I thought they were non-adjustable..??
                  Timing is adjusted by rotating the signal generator plate.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

I'd say definitely keep an eye on it. My 78 550 did this same thing when I was setting the timing, and about a month later it started sputtering and started to run on just two cylinders. Points were good, coils were good.... turned out to be a fried condenser.

I realize your 83 doesn't have points/condensers, but maybe your coil is starting to go bad...... or plug wires, as previously suggested.

Glad to hear you got a timing light though - very good investment.

Chad

Comment

My 79gs1000l does it when connected to the #4 but not on the #1. Did you try to set advanced timing. I found that I was right on when idling, but when I reved it to check advance timing I couldn't get it to line up no matter which way I turned the plate. According to clymer's I need to pull the plate and check to make sure the advance weights move freely.

Comment

Wish I would've thought about this in my previous post...... if you're anal like me, and just want peace of mind........

Swap the wiring going to your coils, and swap the plug wires. As you probably now, both wires coming from a coil fire at the same time, so it doesn't really matter which wire goes to the 2 or 3 cylinder, that was previously on the 1 or 4 cylinder. Just be sure the wiring to the coils themselves are switched as well - else you'll run like a Harley, and maybe cause engine damage.
                        If your light now skips when testing the 1/4 cylinders, it may be the coil or plug wires at fault. If your light still skips only when testing the 2/3 cylinders, the problem my lie in the ignition unit itself, or wiring leading to the coils. This would be simple to do and corrective action could be taken. You don't want to be at the rally and have to ride the Dragon on 2 cylinders man!

I'm assuming you have a light that wraps around the plug wires correct?

OH - and also... make sure the ground cable from the timing light is actually connected to a good ground on the bike..... not the battery - terminal. I read that once and I always followed it...... not sure exactly why....

Chad
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X