Identify year by serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identify year by serial number

I did a search with no luck. I am wondering, Is there a way to identify year of manufacture with just a serial number? I am asking because my bike has accessories that were intended for a 81 model and mine is supposedly a 1980. Title was issued from police auction and year was based on date on frame. We all know an 81 may have been made in 1980.

Re: Identify year by serial number

Originally posted by arveejay
    I did a search with no luck. I am wondering, Is there a way to identify year of manufacture with just a serial number? I am asking because my bike has accessories that were intended for a 81 model and mine is supposedly a 1980. Title was issued from police auction and year was based on date on frame. We all know an 81 may have been made in 1980.
    Try this link if it can be of any help.

Comment

Hi, I tried the link and got an empty page. Tried it 3 times, same result. Maybe it has something to do with my browser, I use netscape navigator. Thanks, I'll keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
        Hi, I tried the link and got an empty page. Tried it 3 times, same result. Maybe it has something to do with my browser, I use netscape navigator. Thanks, I'll keep trying.
        Try to save it to your hard disc, (IE 6.0 right click your mouse).

Comment

It's a .pdf file. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to read it. The Acrobat Reader is free at their website.

Tom

Comment

Guys, I appreciate your help and I'm sorry I'm such a computer dummy but I don't understand. I tried right clicking on the link and don't see anything about saving to hard drive. I do have adobe acrobat reader. The first time I went there I seen it load the reader and it came up but still nothing. Pretend you are explaining it to a child with no experience and maybe I'll understand. Sorry to be such a pain.

Comment

VIN # check

Here is a site that will give a free check of your VIN #.
              It told me the year but not specific model number info.
              Remember that the letters I,O,and Q never appear in a VIN.
              These checks can tell you if the bike or car has ever been
              in a wreck the resold.(which is illegal most places)

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

I have a book that will identify the model year from the serial number. What is your serial number?
                  Axel

Comment

I tried that link and would only accept 17 digit VIN codes. Axel, can you check the book on this one please? GS75X505769. Thanks, Ernie

Comment

It is gs850118100. Let me know. Thanks.

Comment

What is the 10th character on your steering column?
                        88-j 83-e
                        87-i 82-d
                        86-h 81-c
                        85-g 80-b
                        84-f 79-a
                        Mine is (d) but the bike in an 83'

Comment

Originally posted by axel
                          I have a book that will identify the model year from the serial number. What is your serial number?
                          Axel
                          Axel, if not to much trouble, could you look up mine?

F42
                          Type GV71C
                          Capacity 1135 cm2
                          E.No
                          V 703 - 100334
                          F.No
                          GV71C - 100131

From the list in GS-classic it is 1983 but all other paper says 1984.

Comment

Ernie, GS75X505769 is a 1980 GS750ET.
                            Arveejay, GS850118100 is a 1980 GS850GT.

Karl, Your frame number GV71C-100131 isn't shown in my book. My book only shows numbers for Suzuki's sold in the U.S.A. As an example the serial number for a U.S. GS1150 would look like this: GV71A D for 1983, GV71A E for 1984. What's strange is that my book shows a frame number for a 1983 model even though the 1150 wasn't sold here until 1984. The book also shows an engine prefix N701 for 1983 and V701 for 1984 thru.'87. Another way to indentify the model year is by the date of manufacture. Stamped on the frame is the month and year it was built. I believe if it was made in 9/83 or later it's an '84 model.

Axel

Comment

Jakeydiem,
                              Those codes you have are all wrong. The federal V.I.N. system was adopted by Suzuki for the 1981 model year and goes as follows.
                              1981=B, 1982=C, 1983=D, 1984=E and so on. I have no idea why they started with the letter B instead of A. It is the 10th character in the frame number but I can't say if models built for other countries use this code.

Axel

Comment

Working...
                              X