Electrical upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical upgrades

Hello all! New to these boards, but not to bikes.

I'm working on a restore/rebuild of a GS-450 T. The bike had known electrical issues, but the previous owner didn't know enough to be more specific, other than smoke and blown fuses.

My question is, which electrical components should I replace with OEM, and which should I go to aftermarket? I'd also appreciate brand recommendations.

I'll probably end up replacing all major components, due to the age of the bike and condition I received it. The switches are fine, and the wires themselves look to be in decent shape, but it's a big "?" after that.

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if I should provide more details.

The project so far, if you're interested
    Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2006, 04:38 PM.

Sorry 'bout the "bump"... anyone have any suggestions? I'm just looking for electrical components that, while the bike is completely disassembled, should be replaced.

Comment

I'm not sure if it covers all of the GS series, but the stator and regulator seem to be weak spots.

Comment

Do people generally replace them with Suzuki OEM, or is there a recommended aftermarket way to go?

Comment

For stators and regulator/rectifiers, aftermarket is the way to go if they need replacing.

Many people seem to buy Honda CX500 regulators and adapt them for use, preferring to pay $20-30 on ebay for a used one rather than $100+ for a new aftermarket r/r from Electrosport or Rick's. Use the search feature here to find huge amounts of detail.

Comment

OK, so I looked on bikebandit, which seems highly recommended. Cool site, BUT...

Seems I've got a bike model issue. I've got an '83 GS-450T, and they only list the 450 E, L, and S. The catalog lists the E and S as using the same parts, but the L is different.

Anyone know which of those (E, L, or S) is closer to the T version?

Their OEM guides, with the nice diagrams, are even less help, as they list the 450 ED, GAD, LD, and TXD only. Using this sites guide, I know the GAD is shaft/auto, which is definitely different. The TXD sounds like it should be the one, but some of the diagrams are way different.

Can anyone point me the right way here?

Comment

'83 GS450TXD is probably the right model. The build plate at the front of the frame where the steering neck is located should have the year and model on it.

The T model seems to be halfway between the E and L models, using some parts that are found on one or the other. I'd guess that more L parts would be used. I'm also going to guess that your model is a bit rare..

If you're going to buy a new stator and r/r, then I'd suggest trying Electrosport (http://www.electrosport.com). If you'd like to save some money and are comfortable recycling an old r/r and adapting wires, than ebay and the Honda CX-500 r/r is the way to go.

Whatever you do, TEST everything before replacing. It makes little sense to replace a functioning OEM stator that tests out as good, if only the r/r needs to be replaced.

Comment

A new regulator would probably be a good idea! The stator is probably OK. If the stator is bad usually you can see one of the coils burn't

Comment

Working...
                X