plugs stop working after 2 weeks new plug in bike starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plugs stop working after 2 weeks new plug in bike starts

replaced plugs two weeks ago everything was fine then three days ago bike won't start. plugs looked good but didn't have a spark. a little black but nothing bad. Sprayed one plug with starting fluid to clean still no spark. Installed new plug now has spark. desided to replace all plugs and bike now has spark and runs again. new plugs are ngk old (which I mean two weeks old) were champions. The bike is a 81 gs550L. any idea why this is happening? Are the packs weaks? bad plugs? looking for any and all ideas.

Originally posted by raustin584
    replaced plugs two weeks ago everything was fine then three days ago bike won't start. plugs looked good but didn't have a spark. a little black but nothing bad. Sprayed one plug with starting fluid to clean still no spark. Installed new plug now has spark. desided to replace all plugs and bike now has spark and runs again. new plugs are ngk old (which I mean two weeks old) were champions. The bike is a 81 gs550L. any idea why this is happening? Are the packs weaks? bad plugs? looking for any and all ideas.
    Taking for granted that your plug no. and gap is correct, something else must be wrong if the extra resistance of 2 weeks running won't let through a spark. Wires or coils weak?

Comment

DON"T use anything except the proper NGK plugs

Comment

all the experience I had with Champion plugs says that they are GARBAGE. Use the NGK plugs as suggested by the above poster.

Comment

Champion

I had a similar problem in a old Yamaha XS650. I just figured that Champion Spark plugs are junk because I didn't have a problem with the NGKs.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ive used champion's before in my bike and had heaps of problems, went to NGK and had no problems since.

I now use the iridium plugs, much better

Comment

Working...
            X