Wet Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Sanding

I have just finished painting the tail cowl on my bike and now I am going to wet sand it. My question is there any certain patern that I use when sanding?

Thanks

Don't use your fingers, use some type of sponge, LOTS of water, Be very carefull on the edges

Comment

You should know that wet sanding is only part of the process. You will end up with a dull finish after wet sanding and will need to buff it properly to restore the gloss.

Do a google on 'color sanding' and 'auto detailing' for more information.

Comment

All sanding is an abrasive act, but you can minimize the whorls that result from circular motions with LOTS of water, as Lynn already said.

The two keys are to use a sponge as a backer for the paper and to use the proper size of grit.

Between colour coats, many, perhaps most, body shops will use a 500 grit.
        There are some shops that use only that number for colour and clear coats.

My recommendation is that, for the pre-clearcoat phase, go higher, to not less than 1000.

Timing between coat applications depends on the paint being used, (see manufacturer recommendations) In fact, do that before buying the paints, as you need to be sure of chemical compatability between primer, colour, and top coats.

If sanding is required betwen clearcoats, use 1500 grit, or even 2000.
        Note: you may have trouble finding the higher grit numbers, but if you are aiming towards a pefect paint job, the effort to find them and use them is well worth it.

ALWAYS use lots of water. Dipping the pad in a bucket of water will work, but for the best results it is not sufficient. Use a hose that has no fitting on the end, (to avoid scratches) and keep water dribbling over the entire area you are working on.

Even though the water is running, there will be a bit of material left behind, so you should rinse the work frequently with a soft, WET, sponge.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

The person who painted my bike didn't sand between color coats or the clear. Only after all the paint was down did we use 1000+ wet to 'level' the paint and them buffed to a shine after that.

When wet sanding he went in one direction then the other, not in circles.

Comment

Working...
          X