Carb Float Pin Removal... HELP :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Float Pin Removal... HELP :/

Hey guys... trying to remove the pin that acts as the pivot point of the float... the gs garage instructions say to punch it out, but I can't get that little bastard to budge! Any insight would be most welcome after an incredibly frusterating hour of tapping at it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2006, 10:37 PM.

ok now i have done this one. you have to becareful but at the same time firm. I used the end of my vice to place the end of the part that hold the pin (you will need a second pair of hads) and then i gave it a good tap with a punch and it came out. Please becareful becaue it is soft metal and will break. I hope this helps

Comment

I did break a post off of one of mine. Afterwards, I tried using a good set of dykes (recommended by another member) behind the head of the other side of the pin for the rest of the carbs. Worked fine for them. For the broken post, I took it down the street and the local metal shop welded it back on for me. Cost 30 bucks.

Rick

Comment

Yes....side cutters to be exact are what work very well. Open the cutters as far as they will go and sort of 'wedge' them between the flattened end of the pin and the post, do not squeeze hard just sort of grip and rock back and forth LIGHTLY while applying and outward pressure, they will come out.

Scud

Comment

Great thanks guys. I will try the side cutterrs tomrrow.... So you did not apply any pressure from the punch end?

Comment

I have had pretty good luck tapping from the other end. Just make sure you put a support underneath the post so that you don't break it. Good Luck.

Comment

When reassembling them take note of which way they came out If you reverse it IT It will go in hard & will be a bit%h to get out next time

Comment

Also when re-assembling, if you had to "fight" to remove it, make sure the pins are not bent, the float must move freely in any position ( happened to me ). Then you can adjust the float level..
                Sylvain
                GS650GL

Comment

No pressure from the punch end, after you loosen up the pin you can grab it with a pair of regular pliers and pull it out.

Good luck!

Scud

Comment

You can use JB Weld to fix a broken post. It's stable in fuel enviroments.

When you put it back in, it doesn't need to ba anymore than pressed with your fingers. The float bowl won't allow the pin to fall out by design.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

HA! I just did this on mine & another set. The only thing I had to do was using needle nose players, I grabbed on to the pin & out it came! W/a 'lil bit of screwing back'n forth! That's it! Both came out like a champ. I have never had any bigger problems by doing them this way. Ron..

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it!

I was able to loosen it by soaking overnight and then tapping it after wiggling the other end with side cutters. cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X