1981 gs1100ex electrical troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs1100ex electrical troubles

Hi All I'm new to the list but have been reading up on my possible problem from previous posts, anyway I hope you can help.

I have an 81 gs1100e which ran absolutly great, I bought and resurected it from a friends crash of 7 years ago. mechanically it ran perfect. I rode it about 3000 miles last season. It was recently tuned with a new 4 into1, carbs sync and re jetted for the new pipes and my new elevation of 600 ft (from 8,000 feet rocky mountains...new oil cooler, fork seals etc. and new rubber.

My Problem:
    I pull into a gas station, shut off the bike and fill it up. I try to start the bike after filling and nothing. I have power to my intruments, lights turn signals so I'm thinking that the kill switch has a short (I did not use the kill switch to turn off the bike) or the starter button is corroded or shorted.

I inpect and clean the assembly and test the wires w/ a tester and find no short, and can pass a current through all the wires as well as the kill switch.
    I test those three wires thoughout the harness, to the selenoid. Everything can pass a current.
    I try to jump the selenoid with a screwdriver and nothing. The battery was getting low from testing wires etc though. ( I think i read that the selenoid shoud make an innitial ticking sound if working properly). I fully charge the battery..I jump the negative wire from the selenoid to the main fuse and the starter will turn over. I'm thinking bad selenoid?...

It (the selenoid)makes no sound so I buy a used selenoid off ebay and install it. The selenoid does not make a ticking sound but I am able to jump it with a screwdriver to turn the bike over but there is still no spark to any of the plugs.

I have traced and tested the red lead wire from the battery to the selenoid, the negative wire from selenoid, and the wires to the spark ignitor seem to be fine as well. I have also tested the wires and diods etc of the spark ignitor and they seem fine. I have also traced the wires to the coils as well.

i tested these with a tester but not an ohm meter.

Do I need a new ignition, new coils, or new spark ignitor? Any help would be great as this is my only form of trasportation and it's quite hard to hit job interviews on my bicycle!

Thanks in advance

joe ryan

Posted in the Wrong Forum

In case you haven't noticed, you posted your inquiry to the Announcements forum, which is hardly the place to get help for your problem. I would suggest that you go to your original post and hit the "Edit" button at the bottom, copy the content of of your post and delete the post. The go to the Technical Info forum and make (paste) your post there.

Normally, the Administrator would move your post since it's in the wrong place to get help, but he's on vacation. You should be able to get help in the Technical Info forum.

Comment

A post can only be completely deleted if there are no posts following it. so, the only way the original post can be totally deleted is if I delete my post (before there is another one after mine and then Phillip deletes his. Otherwise, we will only be able to delete down to the minimum 10 characters.

If you see this phil, pm me and I'll delete all of mine, then you can do the same and one of us can pm the original poster. :-)

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm not on vacation yet so I'll move it for him. \\/

See, I disappear for a few hours and the place goes down the drain. [-X

--- Frank ---

Comment

Originally posted by administrator

--- Frank ---
          Purge!..........Purge!..........Purge! :-D :-D
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Well Frank, Y'know ya cant get five minutes off before there's someone tearing up the damn handbasket. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by administrator

--- Frank ---
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
            X