Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please, somebody just put a bullitt in my head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, somebody just put a bullitt in my head...

Well, I went over to fire up my GS just to see how things are after my top end gasket replacement, and check for any oil leaks. To my joy, everything is bone dry. I start up the bike, and ^%$%ing dammit, I see a slight trail of whiteish heavy smoke plume out the muffler. I had the same friggin' issue before, but it was WAY worse. The smoke quickly goes away. I have all new top end gaskets, all new valve seals, and I know the valve guides were in fine condition. My pistons and rings looked perfect, and I had 155 psi right across the board, so I am finding it impossible to believe I have worn rings. Cyl's #1 and 3 seem to have some slight oil fouling. This simply has me sickly puzzled how some oil is still getting into my cylinders.

Give it some time and miles. Occasional white smoke doesn't always mean you are using oil. It could mean some oil seeped into the cylinders during he rebuild. Check your oil usage over the next 500 miles.

Comment

Sounds like condensation to me.

Comment

...or oil leeching out of the exposed new gasket material as your recent work "breaks-in." You DID put a bead of oil on the gaskets to seat them... right? ;-)

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
          ...or oil leeching out of the exposed new gasket material as your recent work "breaks-in." You DID put a bead of oil on the gaskets to seat them... right? ;-)

Regards,
          Oil on gaskets to "seat" them???? Can you elaborate a bit more???

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
            Oil on gaskets to "seat" them???? Can you elaborate a bit more???
            Yes please, never heard of this. Only soaking clutch fibers...

Clamster, my bike spits a little white smoke on first startup as well. I don't think it's an issue at all.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My bad ... need sleep! I was thinking about oil filter gaskets (which are supposed to have a thin film of oil applied to before spinning them on) when I was typing that. Of course you SHOULDN'T put oil on your head gaskets, etc...

Note to self: get plenty of sleep before doling out technical advice...

Sorry!!

Comment

white smoke is usually a condition of water, and blue smoke means you're burning oil...

Comment

my 850

My 81 850gl will have some white smoke on first start up in the morning. My car does as well. Mine is definetly condensation. As others said yours probably is as well. After a few minutes it is gone and I do not go through any oil.

Comment

Black Smoke

Black Smoke means...
                    They have elected a new Pope!

i am sorry... I could not help myself!

Ozarkdrb

Comment

Working...
                    X