What's the best way to check for spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way to check for spark

What is the best way to check to make sure you are getting spark minus grabbing the plug wire while turning over the bike :shock:, that usually hurts a bit. The reason I ask this isn't for my GS but it's for my basket case Guzzi. I tried laying them against the block and turning over the engine but I can't see anything.

Thanks in advance

If you pull the plug and lay the threads against the head you should get a spark when you turn the motor over. I've done that to set the timing and hand cranked the motor over. I can always hear and see the plug go off.

Comment

Touch your tongue to the plug as you turn it over. If you wake up on the floor, you have spark. :-D

Comment

Timing light is the only way

When checking for spark you need to do it with the engine running. The plug fires very near the point where the fuel air mixture has reached its maximum compression. The density increases the resistance dramatically. You can pull the plug provide it a ground to find out if the ignition is totally dead or you can pull the boot and with a metal shaft that will stay in contact with the connector check for spark. If you get spark the system isn't totally dead. It doesn't tell you if its going to fire when compression is present or consistently. As I recall you can get a decent timing light for around $20.00. It'll tell you if you've got spark when cranking and can be used to find plugs that aren't firing consistently. I've used mine many times to find are eliminate issues when diagnosing engine problems.

Check out this thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=90666
        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X